Replacing my Kit Lens. Help me help myself!

AlexMoon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey TPF!
So im in the market for replacing my Canon 18-55mm kit lens that came with my 600D. The other lenses i have are a Canon 50mm f/1.8 and a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6. Im still looking to have about the same focal length as the kit lens i have, but just better glass. Im looking in the price range of about $400-$500 brand new, but i'd rather get a used one. So far i've been looking at the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4. I'd like to go wider than 18mm, so im not looking for anything higher than 18mm.

Please let me know what you would suggest as a viable replacement for my kit lens and let me know what you think about the Sigma 17-70mm if you've used it. Anything will help.
Thanks!

Last edited:
If i was in you place i got canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM. It's bit pricey but worths it. I saw somes used ones for 600$.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
There are two versions; an older one without VC (their version of image stabilization) and a newer version with VC.

I had the older version for several years and it was a great lens for the price. I've heard that the new version is good as well, but last I checked, it was significantly more expensive.

One of the best options as a direct replacement would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. But I doubt that you could find even a used one in that price range.

I have the Tamron 17-50m f/2.8 non-vc. It is pretty good optically. Used price should be around $300 to $350 depends on conditions.

What Big Mike said. If you find that you still want wider the Canon EF-S 15-85 IS is well liked but not as fast as the f2.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back