Replacing Photos With Links

Buckster

In memoriam
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wondering here...

When a moderator encounters a photo that's been posted, and has determined that said photo was not posted by the copyright holder, the mod removes it and puts a big, bold, red warning about how it's not allowed, and must be a link instead.

Obviously, if the photo was posted to the TPF server, that's the only viable choice for the mod to make, short of doing an image search online to find out where it exists, and replacing it with a link to that, which is way more than they should have to do.

BUT - IF the image posted was done with IMG tags, can and do the mods just replace the IMG tags with HTML tags to turn it into the link it already points to?

I mean, all the IMG tags do is allow the link between them to show the image more directly than the HTML tags do. Either way, it's still just a link to where the image actually is being hosted, so there's not really a lot of difference.

So, my actual question is, do the mods replace the IMG tags with HTML tags, which is pretty easy, or do they just summarily wipe out the link altogether and post a warning, regardless?

Again, this is not about the ones that are uploaded and hosted on the TPF servers. It's just about the ones that are a link to an image, placed between IMG tags.

I don't know how to do any of that fancy coding html pearl Unix stuff....i just delete the pic.
Sounds like it could be done that way though.

It's just an edit of the post message itself, not "fancy coding html pearl unix stuff".

All it takes is to change "IMG" to "HTML" in the tags surrounding the image link when you go in to remove the link and put in a warning.

EDIT: OR - just remove the IMG tags and leave the link. It doesn't even need the HTML tags on it to work.

Last edited:
It's just an edit of the post message itself, not "fancy coding html pearl unix stuff".

All it takes is to change "IMG" to "HTML" in the tags surrounding the image link when you go in to remove the link and put in a warning.

EDIT: OR - just remove the IMG tags and leave the link. It doesn't even need the HTML tags on it to work.

even easier would be for people to just read the rules before posting...
I guess ill have to take a look at the next picture i find posted that should be a link and see what it looks like under edit.

even easier would be for people to just read the rules before posting...
I guess ill have to take a look at the next picture i find posted that should be a link and see what it looks like under edit.
Feel free to experiment with one of mine:

http://www.buckcash.com/images/TPF/Buck_Blood_6794.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
when i click on "edit", it shows me the picture in the edit screen, not the coding.

ok, theres another button i was missing that converts it back to the code format...
but, when i changed the IMG to HTML, it make it show as a link, but not a clickable link.

ok, theres another button i was missing that converts it back to the code format...
but, when i changed the IMG to HTML, it make it show as a link, but not a clickable link.
Try removing the tags altogether, so all that's left is this:

oooooooh
that seemed to do it.
Cool beans!

You're absolutely right, it certainly would be a lot easier if new members would read the rules and follow them.

But since you're already going in to edit them when they don't, it would be great if you could leave that breadcrumb trail for the rest of the members to follow, so we can at least carry on with the conversation.

Go ahead and leave them the big bold red warning to teach them the right direction to take in the future when they post, but no sense killing the thread altogether by putting us all in the dark. :D

i will certainly incorporate this newfound knowledge into my Mod duties the next time an unowned pic is posted.
I appreciate the heads up on that. and its certainly easy enough if all thats needed is deleting the front and end brackets with IMG in it.

i will certainly incorporate this newfound knowledge into my Mod duties the next time an unowned pic is posted.
I appreciate the heads up on that. and its certainly easy enough if all thats needed is deleting the front and end brackets with IMG in it.
Much appreciated! I'm sure everyone will like that outcome much better. If you could pass that on to your fellow staff members to also incorporate, it would be seriously great!

also remember, a lot of times people upload the image to this server.

otherwise img tags or not, there's no difference whatsoever.

I think the BBCode tag you meant to use is the "URL" tag... not "HTML".

If I use:

Code:
[img]http://www.buckcash.com/images/TPF/Buck_Blood_6794.jpg[/img]

Then it results in this:

Buck_Blood_6794.jpg

But if I use:

Code:
[url]http://www.buckcash.com/images/TPF/Buck_Blood_6794.jpg[/url]

Then it results in this:

.......even easier would be for people to just read the rules before posting..........

Dr. Fasier said it best on Cheers (to Cliff, after explaining how a genetic defect causes his family to all have two extra teeth, proving they're heirs to the Russian throne), "Tell me,........ what color is the sky in your world?"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back