Replacing Shutter Mechanism - Shutter Actuations - Ethics

I take your point, but Nikon seem to be saying that it isn't an accurate measure of the usage of the camera because it could have been reset ( and some have apparently experienced this )

part of me agrees with you and KmH that it is supposed to show the overall usage of the camera...(hence this post)

However, my curiosity as to whether it can be done has started to out-weigh the ethical restrictions of whether it should be done.

I take your point, but Nikon seem to be saying that it isn't an accurate measure of the usage of the camera because it could have been reset ( and some have apparently experienced this )

part of me agrees with you and KmH that it is supposed to show the overall usage of the camera...(hence this post)

However, my curiosity as to whether it can be done has started to out-weigh the ethical restrictions of whether it should be done.

Call them and ask. 800-645-6687

Well,
The chat with the guy at nikon (Live-Chat I.M) seemed to indicate that when the shutter was replaced the technician should reset the shutter count.

He didn't believe that just flashing the firmware would reset the shutter count.
And didn't know whether the software was publicly available but recommended I send the camera to their repair branch.

Had shutter replaced on a Nikon D300 just a few weeks ago. Shutter count was definitely not reset.

I guess even if Nikon Can reset the shutter count,
it's very unlikly they are going to give the software away.

So whether "I should reset or not" becomes mute... I most likly can't. :(

Thank-you all for your input.

BUT can Nikon reset it when they replace the shutter mechanism?

No, that would be like replacing ablown engine on a car and resetting the odometer to 0 just because you have replaced the engine, a no go.

Most reactions

Back