Requisite Waterdrop Photos: C&C please

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well it had to happen. I gave in to the waterdrop fun. Here are a few results from my first foray. Any suggestions? I think next time I will use a larger depth of field. Part of the drops are in focus, but the important parts aren't particularly.

Splish by RxForB3, on Flickr

Splash by RxForB3, on Flickr

Sploosh by RxForB3, on Flickr

Thanks!

The third one is good, maybe still a tad soft. The first two are too soft. These are very hard to focus on, but once you get your rig set up you will be a pro in no time. Try to put something thin, like a pen or something where you have the water dropping in the pan/dish. Focus your camera on that and set it to manual focus so that it doesn't lose the focus point. It works sometimes, other times the splashes go astray.

I use a plastic baggie, put the water in it and hang it above the pan I have the water in with one of the bottom corners of the bag hanging about a foot above the pan. Then I poke a small pinhole in the corner of the bag so the water drips slowly and start shooting!

Great try, keep at it and post more!

I have a few ideas to change abbot my setup, but I think the softness would have been solved by a larger DOF. These are from a macro lens and haven't been cropped. I imagine that doesn't give much room for error with an aperture of f/3.5.

This is something I've still never managed to get round to. I love the colours you chose, but the focus is a little soft on all of them. The composition on No.3 is spot on :)

Yes, I like number 3. Looks like a man without arms. But I was very disappointed with the focus. Several times I adjusted the focus using the round end of a pin (not pen), but somehow it still didn't capture right, which is why I'm thinking depth of focus might have helped.

Most reactions

Back