Resize before or after color adjustment?

Zephyr7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if techniques like adjusting color, brightness, filters etc are best applied before or after reducing an image's size. Thanks!

I do all of my adjustments before I resize - especially if it's portraits for others.

well, for most things you mention really it does not matter. However you can save a lot of time later when you do it all before resizing ... just in case you need the original size at some point with all the changes applied ;)

Sharpening should always be done on the final size though.

It doesn't matter at all. On full weddings I adjust and then resize, and on portraits (bridals etc) I crop and then adjust. It shouldn't make any difference.

Well i'm with elsapet on this. the only thing I make sure I do last is sharpen. I'll sharpen by different amounts depending on the size of the image.

EOS-
Watch out for sharpening. It MUST be the last step before print. On most web images I bypass that step as it halos. But when I send out photos for reprint, I crop and then blast it with KPD unsharp.

I might work differently from others but I do an initial (light) sharpening along with any global changes (temp, color, brightness, exposure, etc) before I do any pixel level changes. After pixel level changes, I do snapshot then slight area sharpen (USM with tiny radius, 0 threshold). Then save as PSD.

If I am going to print I size and do flnal area sharpen, smart sharpen, convert profile, convert to 8 bit, save as jpeg.

If I am going to display on web, I reduce size, convert profile to sRGB, convert to 8 bit, resharpen and save as jpeg

Most reactions

Back