resizing photos while maintaining detail???

Shaunz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Howdy,

Terribly sorry if this is the incorrect section to post my technique inquiry. I did some research and am yet to find a functional technique/correct method for resizing large pictures while maintaining details.

I'm taking pictures of clothing with a Nikon D40. The blown up picture looks phenomenal. Upon resizing the photograph via Photoshop, it'll lose its stripes/dots or blend funny.

Here's an example: shaunz.com/black.jpg

It appears to be a plain black shirt, however as you can see from the bottom left magnification there are dots that disappear in the event of resize.

Here's the shirt untouched. shaunz.com/media/catalog/product/b/l/blackpokedot.jpg

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nathan N.

I would say try resizing the shot in stages down to the smallest size and sharpening at each stage - eg say it started out at 3500pixels on the longest side:

Sharpen at 3500
resize to 2000 and sharpen
resize to 1000 and sharpen (note you should only need a little to touch up here)
resize to 500 and sharpen
resize to 150 and sharpen

The last two stages you might want to overly sharpen the photo which should help give the white dots a greater chance to stand out against the black background. Essentially each time you have resized (or resized once) data has been lost (which is why you sharpen as you go) and in your case lost the small dots to the black dominant detail.

If that fails you can always retain the image as you have it with a link to the larger version of course (which is what I suspect you are doing at present).

Thank you so much! I appreciate the quick and thorough reply! I'll give sharpening a shot and let you know how it goes :)

So this issue is definitely not something related to the way I'm taking the pictures, correct?

I would say try resizing the shot in stages down to the smallest size and sharpening at each stage - eg say it started out at 3500pixels on the longest side:

Sharpen at 3500
resize to 2000 and sharpen
resize to 1000 and sharpen (note you should only need a little to touch up here)
resize to 500 and sharpen
resize to 150 and sharpen

The last two stages you might want to overly sharpen the photo which should help give the white dots a greater chance to stand out against the black background. Essentially each time you have resized (or resized once) data has been lost (which is why you sharpen as you go) and in your case lost the small dots to the black dominant detail.

If that fails you can always retain the image as you have it with a link to the larger version of course (which is what I suspect you are doing at present).

Correct this is purely an editing factor - each time you've resized data has to be stripped away and with the dots so small and the rest of the colour so dominate the code is just losing the dots. You might find that the the detail is too fine to keep in a small image such as you're after (there are limits) experiment around and see what you can get to work

What you're asking to do is impossible.

If you measure the density of the white dots on the original image, there are about 145 white dots across the horizontal. The new image is only 120 pixels across, so it cannot even contain one pixel for every white dot, much less when you add the necessary black space between them.

If using photoshop, try rescaling with "bicubic-sharper," and then adjust the contrast of the final image to make the resulting moray pattern stand out more.

Last edited:
What you're asking to do is impossible.

If you measure the density of the white dots on the original image, there are about white 145 dots across the horizontal. The new image is only 120 pixels across, so it cannot even contain one pixel for every white dot, much less when you add the necessary black space between them.

If using photoshop, try rescaling with "bicubic-sharper," and then adjust the contrast of the final image to make the resulting moray pattern stand out more.

THIS.

Howdy,

Terribly sorry if this is the incorrect section to post my technique inquiry. I did some research and am yet to find a functional technique/correct method for resizing large pictures while maintaining details.

I'm taking pictures of clothing with a Nikon D40. The blown up picture looks phenomenal. Upon resizing the photograph via Photoshop, it'll lose its stripes/dots or blend funny.

It appears to be a plain black shirt, however as you can see from the bottom left magnification there are dots that disappear in the event of resize.

Here's the shirt untouched. shaunz.com/media/catalog/product/b/l/blackpokedot.jpg

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nathan N.

You can fix this problem pretty easy actually. How colors and images are displayed on the internet or print compared to photoshop is a little different.

1. Go to Image<Image Size<change resolution to 300
2. Go to Save<Save for Web & Devices
a guey will pop up
3. Select JPEG then maximum in the pull down<next to it is quality<put it to 100
4. Select then optimized and embed color profile
5. Also select output to sRGB (if it's not already selected)

you can also resize your image two ways from this window<you can manually hand jam H: and W: or change the percentage

Once you do that:
select Quality<Bicubic Sharper

then save...that should help solve your problem

That is if that wasn't what you were already doing....

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate everyones knowledge! You all have been a great help!

Howdy,

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nathan N.

You can fix this problem pretty easy actually. How colors and images are displayed on the internet or print compared to photoshop is a little different.

1. Go to Image<Image Size<change resolution to 300
2. Go to Save<Save for Web & Devices
a guey will pop up
3. Select JPEG then maximum in the pull down<next to it is quality<put it to 100
4. Select then optimized and embed color profile
5. Also select output to sRGB (if it's not already selected)

you can also resize your image two ways from this window<you can manually hand jam H: and W: or change the percentage

Once you do that:
select Quality<Bicubic Sharper

then save...that should help solve your problem

That is if that wasn't what you were already doing....

Thank you very much! this technique seems to work lovely! I was however unable to complete it.. Where is select Quality<Bicubic Sharper ??

Thanks so much!

Users\angel\AppData\Local\Temp\AgWPGExport-2\index.html

I think this is what you may be looking for???

Most reactions

Back