Resolution issues

BearandMaxsMum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D3100. How (what settings) do I take photos at the highest resolution possible? large and RAW? JPeg? Is there a way to change the resolution of a picture once its been taken?

RAW + Large/fine JPEG will give you the best camera options, but resolution is also dependent on ISO settings, the lens you use as well as the operator.

Thank you for your fast reply.. I just purchased the Sigma 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 but the lenses I had been using were Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 and/or Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6
And ISO..200 or 400 for outdoor portraiture in the late afternoon/early evening? Im just trying to figure all of this stuff out, I find it quite confusing:(

Superzoom lenses that have a 10x+ zoom range like the Sigma 18-200 Nikon 18-200, and others, are very convenient, in so far as they supplant carring a couple of lenses and having to change them.

Unfortunately, a lot of design compromises have to be made to accomplish a 10x+ zoom range. Most superzoom lenses are jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none that deliver significant image quality issues when they are used at their extremes of aperture, zoom, and focus distance.
Consequently, he full range of the lenses adjustability is not really usable for making quality photos.

Resolution is defined by the pixel dimensions of a digital photo.
Pages 64-66 of the D3100 user's manual address your concerns and explain the options the D3100 accords you. It is my understanding the complete user's manual is on one of the discs that came with your camera.
You would also want to read about exposure and the available light metering modes (pages 79-93) and auto focus options too (pages 56-63).

I highly recommend the following group of online tutorials: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Nikon product manuals can be downloaded here: Nikon Product Manuals available for download

Most reactions

New Topics

Back