Resources for Alternative Processes

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The following is a list of resources for finding supplies to various alternative photographic processes. They are all located in North America.

Bostick & Sullivan. www.bostick-sullivan.com 505-474-0890
This is a family operated business located in Santa Fe, NM. Along with promoting alternative artists and hosting events, like the Alternative Photography International Symposium, they have a great variety of darkroom chemicals, mostly featuring those highly specialized for alternative processes.

Graphic Chemical & Ink Co. www.graphicchemical.com 800-465-7382
Located in Villa Park, IL. This is an excellent source of lithographic and graphic inks – all colors in a variety of sizes. Their products generally seem reasonably priced. They are extremely helpful, though this is a site more geared towards lithographic printmaking than photographic processes.

Photographer's Formulary, Inc. www.photoformulary.com 800-922-5255
This is "the" place for all alt-processes geeks who might just be in the market for liquid gum arabic or amidol. They sponsor heavy-hitters in the darkroom and alternative processes arena, such as Tim Rudman, Dan Burkholder and Theresa Airey, offering workshops in various places around the U.S. as well as on location in Montana. This is a fun and informative website to peruse, being also a great resource for more basic darkroom supplies and chemicals.

Indigo Instruments. www.indigoinstruments.com 519-746-4761
Located in Ontario, they ship from a New York distribution center. They are suppliers of all types and sizes of measuring units and tools, including graduated cylinders, beakers and flasks. These items are of great use when mixing and measuring your own chemicals in the darkroom. There is no printed catalog, but the site is nimble and user-friendly.

Feel free to add any companies you know of.

Last edited:
I'm not in the US but I just want to thank you for going to the effort, terri. That's very good of you. :thumbup:

Chase said:
Great info! Now if I just knew how to use it all...:lol:
Well, it does help to have a process in mind already. There is that to consider. ;)

This link is provided courtesy of ksmattfish.

http://www.rockaloid.com/

I've not personally used this company, but it's a very informative site. Information on liquid emulsions, cyanotypes, and tin type kits can be found here, plus a lot more.

Just a matter of time for me. :goodvibe:

Okay, not exactly an alternative process, but I did have such a great experience with a photo lab that developed some color IR film (Kodak EIR) I just have to let you guys know about them. :)

Long story short, I sent them a couple of rolls to process of Kodak EIR, that was given to me as a gift to try. I was going on vacation and worried about taking it through the airport more than once, so after shooting it in Utah, while still there I called this lab and was told to just send it on - no credit card# obtained (though I offered), just my name and billing address.

Imagine my surprise when, 2 days after I returned home, the perfectly processed film appeared in my mailbox! Not even an invoice included.

I called this lab today and expressed my appreciation for the professional way I'd been treated. The co-owner, Kevin Johnson, could not have been nicer. I still don't know what I owe the guy, he said he'd "figure something up", but in the meantime he liked the negatives so well he asked me to send him a couple of prints to have on hand for customers to see how this film works! Compliments as well as great service - I'm not used to that. :lol:

Here is the info:

Aerial Photo Lab, Inc.
200 Fentress Blvd., Ste. D
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
(386) 253-5041
www.aerialphotolab.com

Mr. Johnson strongly advises processing this film in a modified C41 process. Based on the clarity and cleanliness of my negatives, I would agree this is a great method.

I'd like to thank our member, Jeff Canes, for not only the film (you're the best!) but recommending this lab. :thumbup: A great experience all the way around. :D

A few years ago at freestyle I bought some 8x10 sheet positive film. Not sure what they called it, but you hit it with your negative in the enlarger to get a black and white 8x10 positive slide. It was for pictures in light boxes or something like it. I printed a sheet of it then framed it with a piece of roof flahing as a back. In the right lighting it was gorgeous but i'm sure that's not what you mean here.

This tread just reminded me that there are a lot of things out there. If we can open our minds and see how things can be used differently than what was intended..

mysteryscribe said:
This tread just reminded me that there are a lot of things out there. If we can open our minds and see how things can be used differently than what was intended..
Thanks, you just made my day. ;) That's how I feel about it, too, along with several of our other alt-freak TPF members.

And Freestyle rocks! :thumbup:

terri said:
Thanks, you just made my day. ;) That's how I feel about it, too, along with several of our other alt-freak TPF members.

And Freestyle rocks! :thumbup:

I'm glad I made someone's day. As for freestyle, I found them before there was an internet. In the back of rangefinder magazine i believe in the seventies. I bought film from them for years. Real photo information was so hard to find I loved their catelogue. I would spend whatever money I had left over that month on somethng outlandish, then try to find a way to use it.

I think one time I bought 25 of their 6 dollar strobe lights and learned to gang them into a very high powered studio light. Fired it backwards against a piece of white silk glued onto a piece of foam core in the spot where the ceiling and wall join... It made a forty five degree angle right down the subjects nose. That and a back light (also one of their 6 buck strobes) and I was good to go for years. It was actually the simplest lighting technique I ever owned. But alas I ramble. sorry but it is the perogarive of an old man.

mysteryscribe said:
Seriously ligitimate question have you ever tried shooting paper negatives in the camera... Very retro looking
Nope...I love the look, though.

So, you've now found the alternative processes forum... ;) This is the place I'd love to see you start posting some of your "retro" images, especially like the process you described for that poster. :thumbup: Feel free to start some threads in here, anytime!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back