Restaurant wedding "reception" -- advice?

rwilliams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm photographing a JP wedding tomorrow and afterwards, they're having a "reception" at a restaurant. They're paying for an extra hour just for that. She wants pictures of the cake and cake cutting, but other than that, I really don't know what to take pictures of while they're eating? Nobody wants pictures of them eating and there's really not much to take pictures of at the restaurant. However, I don't want to be standing around doing since I'm being paid to be there.

Any advice?

Try and get nice photos of the guests who attend, likely couples of all ages, family members, and so on. If you are shooting while food is being served, of course, don't show people actively eating, you know, with forks being lifted to open mouths, but whatever, have people posing and looking pleasantly at the camera while you shoot photos of all the guests who are there. Get some shots of the venue, but outside, and inside. Shoot some wide-angle views of the inside of the place, if there's a buffet arrangement, shoot some pics of that. Go around as people are standing and conversing, and pose some small groups and or couples' photos. Earn that money! Shoot some stuff! If there's alcohol being served, there WILL BE photo opportunities, even if it's just "the guys" standing around drinking beer out of bottles and telling lies!!! get that stuff on film! errrr, on-sensor!

Among our hundreds of weddings we found that even with a simple restaurant reception you can still set-up some nice, storytelling, traditional images such as:

1. Before the cake cutting do a portrait of the cake (start with a close-up) of their invitation and their rings with her flowers with the cake as a background. Then pull-back for the whole cake portrait.

2. When you do their cake cutting:
We always set this up--we decide where the cake should be for a good background and light and where the bride and groom will stand, etc.
We also GET RID OF THE FORKS that the restaurant usually puts on the cake table--we want the bride and groom to use their fingers for the cake feeding for much better images!
And don't forget to have them kiss--sometimes they forget.

3. If they have any special table decorations--especially if they have a theme going on--get images of all that. We use these as backgrounds in the wedding album.

4. Even if they don't plan on a first dance you can suggest that they pretend it for some nice, not looking at the camera, romantic images (with some kissing!) that look like they are dancing--they don't have to really dance and you don't need music for this.

5. When our brides and grooms are not doing the traditional garter and bouquet toss:
If she has a garter have him remove it--if she's shy have them do this in a semi-private corner of the room. Then have him present the garter to one of his unmarried friends--there's all kinds of good photos in this stuff!

Then we have the bride PRESENT her bouquet to someone special to her. They always buy these.

6. If there's any nice spot in or outside the restaurant do a portrait of the bride and groom.

7. We also do any individual portraits of special people at this time like a Grandmother, Grandfather, or anyone special to the bride and groom.

These are just a few I could think of, off the top of my head!

I'm not sure what a JP wedding is, the latest thing I don't know about yet? lol

In the future I'd suggest when you're scheduling and going over the contract etc. you find out more specific info. about what the client wants - because yeah, if you're accepting payment to work an hour of their reception/dinner there's an expectation you'll be working and taking photos for that amount of time. You don't want them to be disappointed because you didn't meet their expectations.

It would help to know besides the cake etc. if there are maybe out of town relatives they particularly want photos of? will the room/tables be decorated? any gifts? etc. Would they want photos of the venue? if it's a typical restaurant with nothing too notable maybe at least a quick front entrance shot w/the sign (name of the place) or if there's a sign saying 'The ___ reception in the ___ room' or whatever, or this time of year maybe some seasonal décor in the place?

I might try to get some table setting shots before the guests get seated, and/or get some photos once they're seated before food gets served (while they're sipping drinks or making toasts). I might try to get around then and make sure you've gotten photos of everyone (or every table if there are a lot) in case anyone leaves early or things get disorganized looking later on. When they start eating maybe then go grab some shots of the cake before they cut it or get some venue/room shots. Once they get partway thru the meal things might slow down a bit, maybe that would be a time to try for more shots of guests (once the forks might not be flying! and before people start getting up etc.). Watch for wait staff to clear tables, if they do that before dessert/cake, might be an opportunity for some more table shots/photos of guests. (And usually at larger banquets anyway I keep one eye out for wait staff coming and going.)

Helps in general to be observant and to anticipate what's coming next so you can get where you need to be to get a shot of what's going to happen next.

Your goal should about telling the story of this event. I would start with some details shots and then focus on guests. Capture a lot of interaction and pure emotions. It shouldn't be that hard!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back