Restoring 100 year old view camera

Images

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

New guy here, I have been lurking in the background and finally registered.

I have my grandfathers 8 X 10 view camera that he used in his studio around 1900, it is in horrible shape, I intend to restore it.
I will be needing rather large sheets of split leather and a few pieces of hardware.
If anyone has any experience with company's that may be able to supply these items I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thanks

Joe

Hi

New guy here, I have been lurking in the background and finally registered.

I have my grandfathers 8 X 10 view camera that he used in his studio around 1900, it is in horrible shape, I intend to restore it.
I will be needing rather large sheets of split leather and a few pieces of hardware.
If anyone has any experience with company's that may be able to supply these items I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thanks

Joe

What camera? Have any photos? Planning on a cosmetic restoration or restoring it to working order?

I take it you are going to try to make your own bellows? Look up the accordian amd organ suppliers for the leather.

http://www.columbiaorgan.com/col/

You can also find plans n tutorials online showing how to make em. I had a source for bellows but he dissaperaed into the jungles of Hawaii.

Can we see a pic of the camera?

Last edited:
I wonder if Lens & Repro in New York might be able to set you up with some suppliers who could supply a new bellows at a reasonable price, as well as other needed parts?

New bellows would cost a fortune for that size camera. Is it really worth that much? I paid $150 for a 100yr old wet plate view camera (it was in mint condition) but a new bellows would have cost me $600 to replace. Is the camera worth $1000 after I've restored it? NO!

So what camera is it?

Making your own bellows is an experiance, priceless in a way, a skill once you learn it can be worth it's weight in gold.

Suppiers for bellows leather usually are organ and accordian makers......

Columbia Organ Leathers

I intend to restore it to working condition.
The camera was made by Rochester Optical Co. and it has a patent date of April 14, 1888.
The bellows appears to be in surprisingly good condition but there is a some broken linkage on the lens.

0142.jpg

022.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! Are the bellows really purple? Please elaborate on the broken linkage on the lens along with any markings on the lens/shutter assembly. It might just be stiff and need a solvent/lube in the right places. Dial set shutters are not that complicated and are very easy to work on. I bet you can get it working with a bit of internet help.

The bellows are darker than it appears in the pic and more of a brown color.
On the dial is Bausch & Lomb Opt. Co. Pat. Jan 8, 1881
New York, Rochester N.Y., Chicago.
On the lens is 6 1/2 X 8 1/2 - Rapid Universal - 114942.
On the lens base is 16898

The lens works slowly, when it is cleaned up it should function properly but there is a broken lever that links the plunger on the left side (viewing the lens from the rear), the plunger on the right still operates the lens.

I have the same camera in a 9x12 plate version. Mine is a Seroco, once sold by Sears 100yeras ago. The shutter is a Wolensak, the lens is B&L. My bellows was in mint condition, amazing how well the old leather held up so long.

I can't figue out how to post pics, I'd like to show how nice it cleans up with a bit of elbow grease. you will have fun restoring it and hopefully using it one day soon.

I have the same camera in a 9x12 plate version. Mine is a Seroco, once sold by Sears 100yeras ago. The shutter is a Wolensak, the lens is B&L. My bellows was in mint condition, amazing how well the old leather held up so long.

I can't figue out how to post pics, I'd like to show how nice it cleans up with a bit of elbow grease. you will have fun restoring it and hopefully using it one day soon.

We'd love to be able to see your camera! If you want to post pics, first upload them to a image hosting site like photobucket.com or any other ones, then select one of the images you uploaded, place cursor on the address (http://www.blahblahblah.com/01jpg), highlight it and copy. Then, make a post in TPF, paste that link between the tags

That will do it.

Back to the camera above, is it necessary to restore the covering (leatherette)? Or is it more feasible to strip the remaining leatherette and refinish the wood nicely? I bet it would be quite a looker! I mean it is now but imagine the refinished wood!

Take some better photos of the linkage that's broken. Try posting over on the Plate Camera or Large Format board at APUG or on the Large Format Photography Forum. That lens/shutter is cool, but not that rare or valuable. I bet someone would have some parts for you. All of my pneumatic shutter parts are for smaller formats.

I'll give it a try...

url]

url]

url]

url]

We'd love to be able to see your camera! If you want to post pics, first upload them to a image hosting site like photobucket.com or any other ones, then select one of the images you uploaded, place cursor on the address (http://www.blahblahblah.com/01jpg), highlight it and copy. Then, make a post in TPF, paste that link between the tags

That will do it.

Back to the camera above, is it necessary to restore the covering (leatherette)? Or is it more feasible to strip the remaining leatherette and refinish the wood nicely? I bet it would be quite a looker! I mean it is now but imagine the refinished wood!

Remove the leather and refinish the wood.
Hey I like that idea, as far as I can tell all the wood is the same fine grained material.
It kinda looks like cherry but I don't think it is, the grain is too fine.
Woodworking is another interest of mine.

Thanks for the help guys :mrgreen:
Joe

Remove the leather and refinish the wood.
Hey I like that idea, as far as I can tell all the wood is the same fine grained material.
It kinda looks like cherry but I don't think it is, the grain is too fine.
Woodworking is another interest of mine.

Thanks for the help guys :mrgreen:
Joe

I'm sure the wood would look great once it's finished. One more thing, you might want to consider a hand rubbed finish to the wood, maybe even a shellac. It takes more time but the results are great.

Good luck with the project and keep us up to date with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back