Restoring 100 year old view camera

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Images, Dec 4, 2010.

1. David Lyon

David Lyon TPF Noob!

Thanks. Maybe I have been watching too much Antique Roadshow and was notnsure about refinishing the wood. It is on my 5x7, which I have taken out to shoot with eversl times in the four months I have owned it.

I will try to find leather to rebuild the bellowsmon the 8x10.

Both cameras are Rochester Optical Empire State. The 8x10 dates between 1893-96 and the 5x7 between 1896 and 1903. The plan is to keep they shooting, with dated and modern glass, as I can afford it.

2. compur

compur Been spending a lot of time on here!

"Antique Roadshow" and other similar antique "reality" shows are extremely misleading, to put it mildly. I say that having been in the antique business for over 20 years and even knowing a few of the guests who have appeared on some of the shows with their "finds."

3. David Lyon

David Lyon TPF Noob!

so refinishing the wood would be more to my taste. I would think someone wanting my kit, hopefully would want it to shoot with and not so much as a display piece. Thanks. Once the 8x10 is up, will look into refinishing the 5x7.

Attached Files:

4. David Lyon

David Lyon TPF Noob!

Thanks. The main thought was either to strip and refinish or just wax, as the camera has some signs of use though the years. On the 9x10, the bellows will be replaced so it is workable again. I shoot theb5x7 and hand no issues.

5. star camera company

star camera company TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

As a camera builder I’ve made hundreds of bellows. I’ve also learned to Run Away from trying to make this style bellows, and I’m a “pro”. The chances of a first timer building a replacement bellows for this camera is zero.