Restoring 100 year old view camera

Beautiful camera.

I'll give it a try...

url]

url]

url]

url]

Very Nice :D

I am now in the process of making a roll film adaptor to use my RB67 backs so I can shoot 120 on her. It's so much fun to use but a PIA loading film into the old wooden holders.

$IMG_3618.jpg
(Excuse the horrible quality of this image)
I've been collecting antique cameras for about two years now. Nothing expensive, and most of the cameras I own I'm not sure if they even work. They're mostly for display for my house. My parents bought me a Seroco View camera a few months ago. The set price was $900 but they got it for $600. It came with a tripod that still holds it, and several different wooden filter-things. The dealer they bought it off had no information on it and didn't even know how old it was. I'm looking to maybe restore it but I'd like to know it's value before fixing it up if it even needs it. I don't know much about old cameras but I'd definitely like to learn. If anyone has any advice I'll gladly take some!

Well, we know it's worth at least $600.... ;) Condition is all important. Do all the movements work well, are the bellows light-tight, does the shutter fire correctly at all speeds (or near enough)? What lens and shutter? What size?

Hope bringing up a 8 year old topic is okay. I recently became the care takers of two Rochester Optical Empire State cameras. The 8x10 needs a new bellows and the 5x7 needs either cleaning or refinishing.

I am seeking advice as to the refinishing affecting values or is the value low enough that it would matter more as to general appearance. Hate to take away what may have been the intended finish.

Thanks

Dave

Hope bringing up a 8 year old topic is okay. I recently became the care takers of two Rochester Optical Empire State cameras. The 8x10 needs a new bellows and the 5x7 needs either cleaning or refinishing.

I am seeking advice as to the refinishing affecting values or wo

Tasteful restorations of vintage cameras which were available to the general public usually increases their value since now they can be used. Exceptions would be cameras of particular historical significance such as those owned by famous people or used in famous events, etc. or having some special rarity such as a Leica prototype, WWII military issue models, etc.

Tasteful restorations of vintage cameras which were available to the general public usually increases their value since now they can be used. Exceptions would be cameras of particular historical significance such as those owned by famous people or used in famous events, etc. or having some special rarity such as a Leica prototype, WWII military issue models, etc.
Thanks. Maybe I have been watching too much Antique Roadshow and was notnsure about refinishing the wood. It is on my 5x7, which I have taken out to shoot with eversl times in the four months I have owned it.

I will try to find leather to rebuild the bellowsmon the 8x10.

Both cameras are Rochester Optical Empire State. The 8x10 dates between 1893-96 and the 5x7 between 1896 and 1903. The plan is to keep they shooting, with dated and modern glass, as I can afford it.

"Antique Roadshow" and other similar antique "reality" shows are extremely misleading, to put it mildly. I say that having been in the antique business for over 20 years and even knowing a few of the guests who have appeared on some of the shows with their "finds."

Thanks. Maybe I have been watching too much Antique Roadshow and was notnsure about refinishing the wood. It is on my 5x7, which I have taken out to shoot with eversl times in the four months I have owned it.

I will try to find leather to rebuild the bellowsmon the 8x10.

Both cameras are Rochester Optical Empire State. The 8x10 dates between 1893-96 and the 5x7 between 1896 and 1903. The plan is to keep they shooting, with dated and modern glass, as I can afford it.
"Antique Roadshow" and other similar antique "reality" shows are extremely misleading, to put it mildly. I say that having been in the antique business for over 20 years and even knowing a few of the guests who have appeared on some of the shows with their "finds."
so refinishing the wood would be more to my taste. I would think someone wanting my kit, hopefully would want it to shoot with and not so much as a display piece. Thanks. Once the 8x10 is up, will look into refinishing the 5x7.

Attachments

• A2AB2199-4729-4124-BCDE-6A01B371238C.jpeg
    A2AB2199-4729-4124-BCDE-6A01B371238C.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 218
Thanks. The main thought was either to strip and refinish or just wax, as the camera has some signs of use though the years. On the 9x10, the bellows will be replaced so it is workable again. I shoot theb5x7 and hand no issues.

As a camera builder I’ve made hundreds of bellows. I’ve also learned to Run Away from trying to make this style bellows, and I’m a “pro”. The chances of a first timer building a replacement bellows for this camera is zero.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back