Restoring an old mis-printed color image

packrat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first post to these forums, I'm have some basic photography and editing skills but this is a challenge I'm not quite up to. The image is an old color postcard from the 1940s, a picture of my hometown, I want to make an enlargement but there's a defect that really hurts the image. It appears that when the image was printed, the yellow portion was not aligned properly with the other colors, hence the objects in the photo all have yellow shadows (sort of like seeing double). I have Corel Photopaint here, it has advanced features such as splitting color channels, but having never done anything this advanced I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me some advice, or is there someone who could perhaps try to restore the image for me?
I wanted to post the image to this forum but for some reason I can't post attachments, perhaps because I'm a new user.
Thanks for any help.

OK, think I figured it out. You can take a look at it and see what you think. If you think you can fix it, please PM me with an Email address and I'll send you a full-res version of the image.
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk275/packrat79/
(it's the only image in the folder)
Thanks.

i tried to leave the overall look of the picture as unchanged as possible. i just cleaned up the spots where the yellow bled. all i used was some quick clone tool and spomge on desaturate.

Cambridge1943.jpg

I like what Jake did to it.
Seems to me the original image was a black and white photo, later hand-tinted (in 'post processing', if you will, LOL!), and then scanned and printed. After such twists and turns you can't expect much of the original image to survive.

I like what Jake did to it.
Seems to me the original image was a black and white photo, later hand-tinted (in 'post processing', if you will, LOL!), and then scanned and printed. After such twists and turns you can't expect much of the original image to survive.

thanks,
about an hour and clone stamp zoomed WAY in.. I also made some of the trees bigger to cover some of the "yellow" areas.

http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Text/TPFBS.txt

I played with it for about 45 min. and got bored with it. So here it is about 1/2 finished from what I had in mind. The whole right 1/6 or so is still messed and so is the jetty thing and everything above it. The sky is less than 1/2 done as well. I might do more tomorrow - I dunno.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back