Resurrect an old Nikon?

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, dug up my dad's old Nikon. It's been sitting for years... I would like to use it, for fun and practice, and would like to know any tips? Is it acceptable to get the film developed and put on a CD at say, a Walmart or something?

Also is the gear worth using? It looks to be in good shape to me. The 2 lenses are the nikkor 135mm and 200mm. Mounted is a 50mm.

dadsfilmcamera.jpg

Put a test roll through it and see how it goes. Whenever I buy a used camera, I always use a cheap 24 exposure drug store roll and get it developed with just a cd. ..actually, I always have my color film developed with no prints.. just a cd. It usually only costs around 3 bucks (at target) that way. I can print the ones I want myself.

Also is the gear worth using? It looks to be in good shape to me. The 2 lenses are the nikkor 135mm and 200mm. Mounted is a 50mm...

Certainly, provided it is all working well. The FE is a very good body, though this one has seen some significant use. The 50 is one of the sharpest and overall best performing lenses Nikon, or anyone, has ever made. The 135 is a very good lens. The 200 is the very early versions (note bright chrome band just forward of the focusing grip) and while not as good as the later AI/AIs versions it is still a decent lens.

I presume that it was AI converted for use on the FE by a machinist. Nikon never offered a conversion kit for that lens and its obvious from the picture than the shoe/prong is still the old pre-AI style. Be careful mounting this lens on the FE. Its possible you dad never had it converted and relied on the FE's ability to swing it AI coupler out of the way to use old unconverted lenses. Be sure you examine the lens and are aware of how it mounts. If its unconverted and you fail to swing the AI tab out of the way on the body you could do some significant damage to the body.

Most reactions

Back