Retro

herba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Something about this picture draws my attention. Something else pushes it away. I'd like to fix the latter. Any thoughts? Cryptic, but I don't want to push my thoughts as I really need some new ones.
Selectric.jpg

Welcome to ThePhotoForum, herba.

My thoughts about this photo is that the lighting is not quite right, which may account for the fact that you are drawn to it and pushed away from it at the same time. Lighting is best and brightest on most of your blurred elements in this photo, while what is in focus also is in darkness. Plus it would have been nice (I think) to have some LETTERs to be seen in focus instead of the symbols on that ball head from your old typewriter.

While I like the idea of some light from the side to "sculpture" the prominent letters/symbols more, it may be coming from the wrong direction (or be too harsh).

Just my thoughts.

i really like the pic, but i agree with above saying that if the writing was perhaps clearer id enjoy it more! i think it just annoys me to not be able to quite read it, or well to have to strain to!

overall though the colour scheme is lovely, and the symbols are so intriguing but i honestly can't make out what it is! my first thought was a grenade lol *goes red*

A longer DOF will help with your focus issues. Soften your lighting just a tad to watch out for blown areas (so crucial to avoid in a close up like this). I like your idea and the pretty tonality of the shot. Worth another attempt, if you wanted to. ;)

agreed, some more clairty in the characters on the ball would have helped draw me in more. the lighting seems a little too harsh (at least on my screen) and blows out the highlights on each character.

perhaps gentler light with a longer exposure, more DOF by way of higher F/stop might be good too.

interesting shot composition nonetheless :)

russrom said:
Do uh... Does anybody ever remember using a uh.. what was it called, oh yeah Typewriter?

Well, I'm 'only' 35 years old and yes I learned my typing skills on a real typewriter. I think that was the last course on earth that used typewriters (hey, it was cheap!) :wink:

pascal

Most reactions

New Topics

Back