Return to previous hobby

Niner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I still have all my photo developing stuff from thirty years ago. I got out one of my old film cameras and took some photos and rediscovered the different feeling that is involved with film over digital. A friend who is a professioal photographer in France told me in an email the way to go with film now days is to develop your film yourself but to scan the negatives on a good scanner and save the images without printing them as a final step.

Then I got to finding out how ebay was selling a lot of film camera's that used to be relatively expensive for dirt cheap. So...I've been adding to the collection. The other day I took a Canon EOS 620 with 35-80 Canon lens for a test drive. I bought it for a grand total of $15.

This photo is one from a series taken near Washington Square in Mobile Alabama. The giant oaks and the old houses from the turn of the last century combine to reflect a different time and place from now. And the B&W is the film of choice. I developed the roll in D76 and scanned the images. Here is one....if it will upload.

Attachments

• $img467.jpg
    $img467.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I enjoy shooting B&W film, and yes, many film cameras aren't too expensive! and I keep adding to my collection.

gsgary, I use Tmax. The photo I uploaded was Tmax 100. Here's another from the same roll.

Attachments

• $img484.jpg
    $img484.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
I sold a LOT of EOS 620 and 650 SLR's when they were current. Without all of the digital options, the button and wheel system Canon invented for the early EOS cameras was very nice, very easy for people to grasp, even though it was an almost totally new idiom for the vast majority of buyers. Wow...an EOS 620 and a 35-80 zoom for less than a twenty dollar bill...

Enjoy it!

Speaking of film camera's with features for your buck. One I've only used once and has a lot of really neat features is a Minolta Maxxum 5. Got it with a 28-100 auto zoom for $35. It's my recent addition highest price camera.

I took a roll of Tmax 400. I think I like the 100 better.

Attachments

• $img579.jpg
    $img579.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 86
  • $img597.jpg
    $img597.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 67
Oh yeah!!!! amxxum 5 (and 7!), those were easy sellers back in the day. People liked the idea of the programmed "chips" that went into the body from the trapdoor on the side. Minolta's early AF offerings were actually, I thought at the time, the best, with Canon second, and Nikon really quite weak except for the N8008s model; the Nikon AF cameras of that area, like the 4004 and 6006 were, actually, utter sales turds...people just DID NOT LIKE those things! Ugly, clunky, yeeech. I sold a lot of Maxxum 5's, since the price was right, and the camera sort of felt "softer" in the hand than the EOS models did.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back