Reverse engineering this light - how do I get it?

FWIW:

as for Jill Greenberg's light setup, I'm guessing she uses 3 umbrellas, one overhead and the 2 others on either side, slightly behind the subject, pointing towards the subject, 30 degrees forward. A smallish (2 feet diameter?), but bright, probably silver or gold, reflector in front and below the subject's face. A 2 stops stronger light with snoot illuminating the background, and another 2 stops stronger light behind the subject pointing towards the camera to create the halo.
And a loooot of PS indeed.

Pardon me, But if this lady is a world famous photographer, I think maybe she has run out of creative ideas. I find these images disgusting. Why would anyone want to take pictures like these? I wouldn't hang one of these on my wall if you taped a thousand dollar bill to it. This must be her answer to shock radio, Which is also a dying trend... IMHO.....
Cosmo

cosmonaut said:
Pardon me, But if this lady is a world famous photographer, I think maybe she has run out of creative ideas. I find these images disgusting. Why would anyone want to take pictures like these? I wouldn't hang one of these on my wall if you taped a thousand dollar bill to it. This must be her answer to shock radio, Which is also a dying trend... IMHO.....
Cosmo
With all due respect - stay on topic please.

I do not want a science vs religion debate

if you wanna duscuss that - start another thread

Good enough. Consider the subject dropped. But my comment had nothing to do with science or religion , but photography. You are right in that this is no place for this comment...
Cosmo

Yeah, well why not try analysing the shots yourself, set up a lighting kit and try out a few different setups, its pretty easy to copy others work if you have the skills and equipment, anyone that has studied pro photography will have done this in the past as part of their course. No big deal.

The real thing is to create a style for yourself, something unique then have others mimic your work.H

the thing is that I don't have much lighting exquipment, I have to rent.

So I am wondering find out as much as I can so that I don't rent unneded stuff.

Looks kinda like shes using hard diffused light rather than using a diffuser to soften. Like they used in the 50's~80's.
Maybe softboxes with perspex to diffuse.

Yousuf Karsh used lights like these and got effects where the highlights looked "shiny"

Image by Yousuf Karsh
abb78.jpg

So it looks like that kinda lighting to me and then some post processing work.

Yeah it seemed like controlled hard light.

It's funny how no one really invents something; it always seems like someone did it before them.

mike disfarmer routinely got that glow . . . so it can definatly be achieved without post, however, part of that may be that it was on glass plates.

before anti-halation backings there was a little more glow to alot of things.

however, it can also be emphasized on alot with diffused glow.

you can see softboxes reflected on some of the models skin, in the child portraits.

i got this with no fancy light, just bounce off the cieling. then diffused glow in post, and highlights/shadows to cartoon it a little like she does.

however, the cieling i bounced off of was not flat, but angled toward the guys face.
roger1sml.jpg

speaking of mike disfarmer, sam houston state university owns a portfolio of his if anyone wants to see it,

as well as work by minor white,
brett weston,
ansel adams,
meatyard
and others i can't remember at the moment.

Ring flash, umbrella on either side, lots of rim lighting, and of course, local contrast enhancement via photoshop with combo of unsharp mask, and dodging and burning.

Most reactions

Back