Reverse-lens-macro of a Couple Bugs (Identification Assistance Por Favor?)

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Reverse-lens with my 50mm Pentacon - very shallow DoF...still trying to get the hang of this until I get a real macro and then try focus stacking...gotta get/make some rails first...

#1 - A mosquito-hawk perhaps?
5831992509_1ac545aaab_b.jpg

#2 - Unknown bug (size is about the point of a pencil)
5832544616_f3aa12346f_b.jpg

The first is what we call a "Daddy Long Legs" over here - A Crane Fly.
Can't help on the second, however, sorry.

Decent shots for reverse-lens.

I believe the second bug is a "harvest mite"

Okay, so a firm answer found for the first photo...never heard of them as "Crane Flies" but are the same thing as what I call a "Mosquito Hawk"...also found out they are called "Gollywhoppers" and for some odd reason "Daddy Long Legs".

Harvest mite or clover mite? Neither the images I'm looking through look quite like the one I took...but close enough...its most likely a mite of some sort...and a nymph at that...

That's funny... I've always called them May Flies but doing a search I see I've been wrong all these years!

We have may flies around here as well...they have tails that are shaped in an arc and backward-swept wings...they get pretty thick around here...

that first shot is pretty cool, looks like the focus is on the wing tho.

Skeeter eaters.......although they don't eat skeeters at all. Nice shot if you got the focus a little sharper on the head. The good thing about crane flies is that they typically sit still long enough for you to get some good shots. Although its typically stuck to a window screen or the side of your house.

Most reactions

Back