Reverse Macro? Can somebody explain the basics?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A lot of people are talking about reverse macro.... how does it work? I see a reverse macro adapter that will fit my 50mm 1.8....and it cost only about 10 bucks shipped.

Obviously this won't be as good quality as a true macro lens, but what are some opinions? I'd like to get into some macro-ish photography, is this a decent starting place? (without having to pay 300-600 bucks)?

Or you can get a double reverse ring which allows you to reversely mount one lens onto the front of another. I have one that allows me to reverse my 50mm (52mm threads) onto another lens with 58mm threads.

Here is an example
Macro-01.jpg

WOWWWW Would this work with my 52mm(filter) 50mm lens, and my 58mm(filter) 18-55 stock lens?

and do you have links to a place that sells them?

[FONT='Univers (W1)']Cool beans Big Mike. With that adapter, can you use lenses as usual? Say I mount the 18-55mm on the body and adapt the 50mm as a second, will focus, aperture, flash (iTTL) and zoom on the body lens function normally? [/FONT]

Alright, I bought the coupler and the little adapter. Paid about 15 bucks for both of them. I haven't received them yet...but I did hold the lenses in the positions to make sure this whole thing isn't a "Snipe-hunting"-like trick.

:thumbup: Here's what I came up with:

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

also... I used my 50mm 1.8 attached to my camera, with the stock 18-55 backwards at the end of it.

Overall I am very impressed. Sharp, sharp pictures.

WOWZERS!

I had absolutley no idea this was possible.
I had to try it!!! And it actually works.
An elastic band isn't a very interesting subject but regardless..

But why is it that I'm getting a black ring?
I put my 70-300mm on the camera and the 28-80 on the other end.
What if I switched them? Would it make a difference?

I just had to pick a flower.
I've just spent the last hour and a half taking pictures of one silly little flower.
Err... I will blame you guys in the future.
You all just started my new addiction!

Sorry I didn't get into this thread a little sooner, I see big mike has everything in order. :) Been out of the loop for the past couple of days with my "honey-do" list. Keith, obviously there is no reason a reversed or doubled-reversed lens can't be as sharp or sharper than a standard macro lens. For best sharpness, use 2 prime lenses when using the double lens technique. All zooms give up at least a little to primes, especially in macro applications. Remember DOF goes down as magnification goes up. For max. sharpness try to keep your subject parallel to the film/sensor plane. This might seen like a quick way to a boring pic, but in the macro world, as much of the frame in focus makes for more interesting images.

I think the sharpest reversed-combo I ever shot was a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 with a another Nikkor 50 f/2.0 reversed. That was a great combo. Very sharp and great contrast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back