Reversed Lens

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
Does reversed lens give better results (more magnified) compared to dedicated Macro Lens ?
Ketan

With reverse macro, using a wide-angle reversed lens will actually get you more magnified results.

Better results?? well, maybe more magnified. However... you're limited to the largest aperture of the lens...so you can't control DOF. Also, you can't focus MUCH when using the reverse technique. Also, you can get some severe vignetting (sp?) when using reverse macro.

I tried reverse, and eventually scrounged up 20 bucks and bought a set of Extension Tubes, which seems to do a better trick.

Reverse macro is worth a try though...you don't even need an adapter..just hold your lens backwards and see if you like the results. :thumbup:

sounds like a good idea to let dust into the camera body, reversing lens on 35mm or dslr you'll need an adapter and for best results bellows extension. These are techniques for macro but using a LF camera I wouldn't mess around with small formats and added expense buy a macro lens. H

If I want magnification greater than 1:1 which is the best way? Reversing the lens or extension tubes?
ketan

It depends on a few things, like the magnification the lens is optimised for, the presence of floating elements, how far beyond 1:1 you are going, whether you can control the aperture of a reversed lens, and whether or not you can focus (using bellows for example).

Once you have a bellows system the options become almost limitless. Many of us use lenses intended for 8 mm and 16 mm cinematography reversed. You can get these comparatively cheaply. You can also use enlarging lenses reversed.

Another option is to couple two lenses.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back