Review my Self Shot Portrait

Definitely better placement of "stuff" and pose.. but the lighting is so stark and flat. Sorry if i missed it.. what are you lighting with?

I like one facing the camera better. The pattern on your shirt drawls me there instead of your face. It is a good picture. You are an exception to do self portraits, because I meet so many men who don't like it. Hat off to you! Want men to leave a room bring out the camera:)

looking into the camera is definitely better. I agreed with ManualMode's first comment about the clearly posed environment. It doesn't lend itself to "candid" poses. the second issue with such a deliberate environment is that your pose is going to look.. well posed. so even if you are comfortable, you won't necessarily look it, and there needs to be more substance in the expression. I think the lighting is fine, IMO you'd benefit a whole lot more by adding some drama to the pose/expression than in the lighting. not sure how i'd fix it, and it's probably more of a personal vision of how you want to adjust that. maybe make it your 3rd of 4th beer! also i think the camera needs to move up a little. the shot looks like it's coming up from your boots/feet which you clearly don't want the focus on since you're blacking them out.

also if we're talking details like the order of the props on the table, lose the cushion. Guinness, pipe, man, flowerly woman cushion daintily tied to the rocking chair... one of these does not belong...

Last edited:
I like one facing the camera better. The pattern on your shirt drawls me there instead of your face. It is a good picture. You are an exception to do self portraits, because I meet so many men who don't like it. Hat off to you! Want men to leave a room bring out the camera:)

That's why I love being the one holding it.

Yes, lose the cushion.. if you're using a 2 flashes, then something wrong.. the light is too flat.. so dial one down.
IF you're using one.. then move it it camera right and throw a grid on it.. now that would add some character.. I also think you're either too close to the backdrop for it to look like anything but a "Hey, this is my muslin" backdrop.
If you can't be further away from it.. then use the grid as suggested, darken the whole room and maybe close your aperture (to reduce your depth of field) to take the focus away from it..

if the room is dark enough, you could also consider throwing a second flash at the muslin.. that might be cool.. Keep shooting, this is a fun experiment! Let's see how bad ass we can make this guys self portrait!

The low placement of the camera seems odd but the focus is good for self shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back