Reviews, Critique, Opinions, needed

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am due to display ten printed images in October at a cheese a wine thing along with some others in my camera club. So to this end I'm looking for help with improvements and such to my images and my plan is to post up 1 image a day or so and hopefully get some opinions on them.

Image 1 the levels have been adjusted in PS and then in LR direct positive has been selected and thats it. Is it overcooked.
Tractor-2.jpg

Overcooked or not is one of the most subjective questions. I think I have about an average tolerance for things being overcooked and this doesn't strike me that way.

However, a couple of other things bother me a bit. There's too much foreground, which serves no purpose and makes the tractor look smaller, and the exhaust stack (?) on top of hood gets lost in the dark trees.

This shot does not show the tractor to the best advantage. Possibly the angle is too much to the front. Then the background is quite broken up with flat ground, tall weeds, taller trees, and a piece of sky. It would show the machine better if the background was more "even". Also; what is the bar thing over the top of the plow? And why does this thing have a license?

This shot does not show the tractor to the best advantage. Possibly the angle is too much to the front. Then the background is quite broken up with flat ground, tall weeds, taller trees, and a piece of sky. It would show the machine better if the background was more "even". Also; what is the bar thing over the top of the plow? And why does this thing have a license?

Well I can't retake the shot now so I have to lump it. I could clone out the bar, which is part of the units frame, but I thought id leave it a see if its noticed first. So as it stands what would you recommend.

to me, yes.
and cropped too loose top and bottom, I think.
View attachment 107467

I believe i did do some cropping when I printed it before but I printed it in B&W for another purpose but wanted to redo it in colour. Your version there did you pare back on the colour.

Looking at yours some more is the tractor not to shiny

Last edited:
Well I can't retake the shot now so I have to lump it. I could clone out the bar, which is part of the units frame, but I thought id leave it a see if its noticed first. So as it stands what would you recommend.
I would not bother with cloning it out.

Another image. Same as before re opinions, only adjusted levels. There was a various straw strands floating under it eyes which I removed but the big wheat head I find I can't remove without leaving 50 cal bullet holes.

Dog-3.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I have been working on a few edits of the last images posted and here is one more that is ready for the firing squad. All feedback appreciated.
Thanks BR

Double Bass.jpg

It's a pretty nice shot which was well set up. The lighting highlights the shape of the instrument and the background is unobtrusive. There are two things that bother me a little: (1) the out-of-focus scroll (?) on the left - since you've cropped a little of it I would go further and remove about half of it, just leaving some to lead into the focus point and provide some context, and (2) The floor is a bit bright and distracting - I'd bring it down just a little.

It's a pretty nice shot which was well set up. The lighting highlights the shape of the instrument and the background is unobtrusive. There are two things that bother me a little: (1) the out-of-focus scroll (?) on the left - since you've cropped a little of it I would go further and remove about half of it, just leaving some to lead into the focus point and provide some context, and (2) The floor is a bit bright and distracting - I'd bring it down just a little.

Thanks for the reply it did take a bit of set up and my back was sore afterward but there was hardly any editing. In regards to the two points I will try to give a bit of context which perhaps I should have initially, not arguing your points just an explanation .

The image was taken for a club competition for which the theme was "focus" so I zeroed in on the neck and tuning wheels with a purpose. I used a wide aperture and slow shutter speed, The crop: I was holding the scroll to get the height so I had to reposition the camera several times. I take your point about the brightness and I will review that. I hope that helps with your questions.

Just a quick FYI all of the points I made above went totally over the heads of my fellow club members who didn't even know what the thing in the picture was.

Hi again, today another image which I'd be more than happy if you left opinions on in just the same contexts as the others.

Also if you want to speak about the other images two. There the original edits but I welcome some additional FB so to help with corrections.

Thanks

Green Door.jpg

I can't say I've seen this one once before.
I can say that I've seen this image, perhaps, 10,000 times before.

I can't say I've seen this one once before.
I can say that I've seen this image, perhaps, 10,000 times before.

Riddle me this Traveler, have you seen it at the same bat time in the same bat place under the same bat circumstances ?

I think you took the easy way out with this one.
Knob opposite latch on flaky, paint-peeling door.
Your name is the brightest part of the image and draws my eye.
If you look carefully at the image, there is something interesting and sort-of mysterious to be pointed out.
What is that stuff above the handle? It looks almost like a fuse and wires?
A different framing, much less hackneyed I think, would put some mystery into the shot with an equally, if not more, interesting set of contents that looks at the uniqueness of this situation.

green-door-22222222222.jpg

Most reactions

Back