RGB to CMYK, then back to RGB... For the web.

Remember that there is no single 'RGB space' and no single 'CMYK space' - each has to be defined by a particular space, such as sRGB or US Web Coated (SWOP) CMYK. Different RGB spaces and different CMYK spaces have different gamuts. It would be perfectly possible for one particular CMYK space to be larger than one particular RGB space.

It's difficult to represent the extent of a colour space in two dimensions, thus the use of wireframes and gamut volumes etc. If there are any sets of comparisons you would like me to make I can produce the diagrams for you (like the one I produced for my previous post).

Regards,
Helen

Remember that there is no single 'RGB space' and no single 'CMYK space' ...... It would be perfectly possible for one particular CMYK space to be larger than one particular RGB space.

Don't slice and dice this with more precision than the case warrants. Given what the OP posted, the main point is that he should not ever convert an RGB profile (no matter which profile) to a CMYK profile for editing (regardless of which one), and then convert it back to RGB for web use. I can't think of any circumstances in which that makes sense. Can you?

Don't slice and dice this with more precision than the case warrants. Given what the OP posted, the main point is that he should not ever convert an RGB profile (no matter which profile) to a CMYK profile for editing (regardless of which one), and then convert it back to RGB for web use. I can't think of any circumstances in which that makes sense. Can you?

I have already given a number of reasons why an RGB space is preferable to a CMYK space and made the 3-D gamut diagram, so what's your problem? Why do you feel the need to tell me what I should or shouldn't do? Do you believe that the OP doesn't deserve accurate information?

Helen B could not have explained it better. Just stick with RGB in this case. Now, if you were taking photos and putting them in a brochure to be printed in 4 color process then yes, the photos need to be edited in CMYK.

This reminds me of an argument I had with an salesman. The client wanted flyers printed on the cheap so we found a 4 color process gang printer that would do them for pennies on the dollar. I get the file from their "designer" and it is in CMYK but I have a jpeg attached in RGB with a note saying "We want this neon green but it gets dull when we made the file cmyk" I said ok fine, it will cost more because that color does not exist in cmyk. The designer argued with me for days before I just took the loss and "fired" the customer. It wasn't worth it.

Do you believe that the OP doesn't deserve accurate information?
No need to set up straw men and get defensive. I said what I believe:
Don't slice and dice this with more precision than the case warrants.
That's hardly a call for inaccurate information.

Bottom line; always start with the largest space you can which would be pro rgb or rgb or adobe rgb. sRGB is a destination color space not one you want your master files in. It is not as large of color space as the forementioned so you lose a little color by converting to it I convert to sRGB for any type of desktop presentation including web.

As mentioned cmyk is for print, another destination color space.

There are also plenty of printers that want sRGB files but again. This is a destination color space not one you want to work your magic in.

Working only in CMYK makes sense when you need to refine what converting loses and you will know how the colors will print. But never go back to RGB from CMYK--it's almost pointless.

Also realize that even if your monitor is calibrated. Web browsers each have their own way of interpreting color or so I read a few years ago.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back