RGB vs sRGB issue

There is no monitor profile in place for Photoshop to use.
The reason I haven't calibrated my monitor is because the advertising for this monitor says it is carefully calibrated from the factory and I didn't want to mess with that. But I am now planning to do it anyway. Here is another screen grab though, which I believe shows that Photoshop does have my monitor profile. Correct me if I'm wrong.
monitor profile.jpg

You are correct. Years ago when I upgraded several monitors to wide gamut I spent many days trying to fix this problem and after all that was said and done it turned out to be Microsoft's problem. Spend $700+ on a monitor and web images looking like rainbows does not cut it. I have many years in the color print industry and this problem was the worst to figure out. I was hoping to save others many lost hours of research trying to fix a problem that lies with Microsoft

BBush, I think you have the answer to my problems. I am going to install Firefox right now. I appreciate your visuals that you posted. But let me get this straight... I'm going to continue to Save for Web, convert to sRGB, and embed the color profile, and rest easy that most of the world is seeing my images as I want them to. And in the case of people who have wide gamut screens, we just hope they know enough to use Firefox?

There may be a slight color shift for others using IE on cheaper monitors and IOS devices but not as extreme as IE on a wide gamut monitor. Most people do not use high-end monitors such as these so there is little to worry about. Give it a try.... and for the post above do not set your workspace to your monitor profile it is wrong. and yes save to web and select "convert to srgb" and "embed profile"... let us know how it goes.

PS after you install Firefox come back and view the two images I posted. If you see a color change between the two than the browser is reading them correctly

If FF does not perform as expected, folow the link below and scroll down to "HOW TO SETUP & ENABLE VALUE 1 FULL COLOR MANAGEMENT IN FIREFOX:"

BEST FIREFOX TEST PAGE How To Enable FULL COLOR MANAGEMENT of ICC Profiles in FF31 Fire Fox thru FF 3.6

Last edited:
There is no monitor profile in place for Photoshop to use.
The reason I haven't calibrated my monitor is because the advertising for this monitor says it is carefully calibrated from the factory and I didn't want to mess with that.

It was advertising. Advertising is a synonym for bald-faced lie. Your monitor is calibrated when you calibrate it. Part of the calibration process is the creation of an ICC profile for the monitor. What you (and PS) have now is a generic profile that was installed when the monitor was installed. They're not the same thing. If you really do a proper job calibrating the display one of the steps in the process is to measure the light intensity at your workplace. I'm betting Dell didn't send a team along with the display to take that measurement for you. ;-)

I'm pretty sure BBush is correct in that IE will not use the monitor profile (generic or not) and if you do have a wide gamut monitor that will likely be a big discrepancy. When you do get the display profiled you should be able to work in Photoshop and save your photos tagged sRGB. At that point if you upload them to the internet they should look OK and at least reasonably similar to what you see in PS when they're displayed on phones etc.

Joe

But I am now planning to do it anyway. Here is another screen grab though, which I believe shows that Photoshop does have my monitor profile. Correct me if I'm wrong.View attachment 103630

There may be a slight color shift for others using IE on cheaper monitors and IOS devices but not as extreme as IE on a wide gamut monitor. Most people do not use high-end monitors such as these so there is little to worry about. Give it a try.... and for the post above do not set your workspace to your monitor profile it is wrong. and yes save to web and select "convert to srgb" and "embed profile"... let us know how it goes.

PS after you install Firefox come back and view the two images I posted. If you see a color change between the two than the browser is reading them correctly

If FF does not perform as expected, folow the link below and scroll down to "HOW TO SETUP & ENABLE VALUE 1 FULL COLOR MANAGEMENT IN FIREFOX:"

BEST FIREFOX TEST PAGE How To Enable FULL COLOR MANAGEMENT of ICC Profiles in FF31 Fire Fox thru FF 3.6

Yeah -- good point that working space should not be the monitor profile and neither should it be Adobe RGB. If you're processing and editing raw photos there's an argument for that working space to be ProPhoto but then you have to remember to go through the conversion process to sRGB for output. The easy thing to do there is set the working space to sRGB -- that's where the photos end up in the end.

Joe

If your on windows 7.... check your color setting in control panel. Make sure under the "Devices" tab your monitor is selected...
18721102740_0f0a134952_o.jpg

What you're describing sound like profile re-assignment and not conversion.
You are correct. I just learned these terms today, and I did not mean to say conversion. I am converting my images to sRGB before putting them on the web, but for this example I meant to say re-assignment.

It does not make sense. Monitors do not have color spaces. There's no such thing as an aRGB or sRGB monitor.
It may not be correct to say aRGB or sRGB monitor, but there are monitors that can only view the amount of colors displayed in sRGB, and wide gamut monitors that can display many more. I was theorizing that because my monitor can display more colors it is assigning the wider color profile, thus making the same result as assigning the wider profile in photoshop. I'm not trying to argue that I'm right, just trying to say I had the terms wrong before, and hopefully that clears up my thought process. The fact that IE is ignoring my monitor's color profile makes complete sense to me, so we can leave it at that.

Earlier today I changed my working space to ProPhoto, and I will remember to convert to sRGB for the web. Using Firefox now and it is great. I can see the difference in the horse photos, and my photos look as they should. I also just checked my control panel and everything is set exactly as BBush's, showing my own monitor of course. I will be calibrating my monitor, too. I am so relieved now, and can't thank you guys enough. Is there a place on this forum where I'm supposed to mark my question as answered?

Glad we could help.... Pass the info to others just starting to use wide gamut monitors until Microsoft can get their act together.
Type @ yall later.

Your display will need to be re-calibrated on a regular basis, or if the ambient light falling on it has changed and you don't have calibration hardware that continually monitors the ambient light falling on your display.
Regular calibration is to adjust for your display aging and editing experts re-calibrate about once a month.

Ysarex mentioned a display ICC profile. Not all display calibration devices will profile your display, so be sure you get calibration hardware that will.
I highly recommend, and many print labs also recommend, X-Rite color management tools.
This colorimeter would be about the least expensive one I would recommend for a serious amateur photographer:
X-Rite CMUNDIS ColorMunki Display
This spectrophotometer will not only calibrate and profile your display, it can also calibrate printers, scanners, and projectors.
This is the one I recommend for working photographers.
X-Rite CMUNPH ColorMunki Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back