Rhetorical rant/question about Photoshop CS 2

I

Iron Flatline

So.... why the hack doesn't CS2 have a file import utility? Why do I have to use some other application to import files from a disk or CF card into Bridge?

how are you all importing your data?

Because it doesn't NEED one. Photoshop is an image editing tool, not a photo sorting/management tool. I'd rather have a tool good at one thing than mediocre at two.

Tiberius said:
Photoshop is an image editing tool, not a photo sorting/management tool.
Uhhh.... so what do you call Adobe Bridge, an application that ships with all current CS versions? And how do you (or others) import images into that?

i don't use a program at all to import my images to my computer or other applications. i just stick my CF cards into my card reader (in my pc) and upload them to my pc for backup (just through file explorer - copying and pasting)...then i browse for them in bridge and save the root folder as a favorite until i'm done converting my stuff. after that i just use CS2 to open them up.

Exactly. I move the files from my SD Card to a Directory on my computer and open the Images.

And Bridge is not Photoshop. If you want to complain about Bridge, complain about Bridge. But Bridge is not Photoshop. One of the most important concepts in software design is seperations of concerns - never have one thing do two jobs; seperate out each task. Adobe's taken that message to heart, which allows people to use the best tool for each task. If the best Photo Editor is Photoshop and the best Photo Manager isn't Adobe Bridge, you don't have to use Bridge because Bridge isn't part of CS. It's an ideal system.

Tiberius said:
And Bridge is not Photoshop. If you want to complain about Bridge, complain about Bridge. But Bridge is not Photoshop. One of the most important concepts in software design is seperations of concerns - never have one thing do two jobs; seperate out each task.

that's a good point.

I have never had to import image into Bridge. If they are save in a file on my computer or on a disk, I just open them in bridge through the correct drive, etc. Same for Photoshop. If the images are on a disk I just click OPEN<D:\ and there they are. If they are on my memory card, I just click OPEN<E:\. and if they are on my computer I just click OPEN<C:\blah blah blah. Maybe I am just seeing the simple side to this or maybe you are asking a completely different question? LOL

I happen to have Photoshop Elements installed on my computer as well. It has a very good file import system, that allows automated creation of folders, batch renaming, etc. I wish it shipped with Bridge (or Photoshop itself, which in turn ships and installs with Bridge now.) I just wish Photoshop had it as well. If it makes you feel beter to have it be a stand-alone utility , fine, so be it. Yes, I can insert my CF card, and drag and drop them, etc. I just would prefer to have a utility that allows me to do some basic batch processing of the raw files, and then dumps them into the folders as I designate them.

I just wish I could view the raw files as thumbnails so it would be easy to move the raw files into assorted folders without having to know which names correspond to which shoots......

any easier way to do that? Im prob just not thinking about something..

THORHAMMER said:
I just wish I could view the raw files as thumbnails so it would be easy to move the raw files into assorted folders without having to know which names correspond to which shoots......

You can view RAW files as thumbnails in the Photoshop browser...which I think started on version CS and is also in Elements. I find that it's a little slow to read a bunch of files though.

I use a free program Irfanview, to view/sort my images. It's quite fast and with the plug-in you can view RAW files.

THORHAMMER said:

Bridge is the browser that is linked to CS2. I drag the files to the desktop via a reader. Open the folder in Bridge, delete/sort, edit the Metadata (batch update) and double clicking the individual files will open them in Photoshop for post processing. Life is much easier now.

If you are not using CS2, install the Canon EOS Viewer Utility that came with the camera.

If you're running Windows XP, you can also install Microsoft's RAW file thumbnail viewer. It generates Thumbnails within Windows folders.

Link!

Most reactions

Back