Ricoh lens

Warfarin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My mother gave me her old Ricoh XR-P MF camera with 3 lenses and I picked up a 3rd from eBay. I’m fairly certain that Pentax lenses will fit this camera. My question is how do I determine “premium” glass from Ricoh or Pentax and are all MF Pentax lenses compatible? I know with Canon it is the “L” series and with Nikon they put a gold ring around the end of them. Is there markings like this for Ricoh or Pentax. Thanks in advance.

Nikon photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
geoffbrown63.wixsite.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Using programmed autoexposure, the body of the XR-P is only able to control the aperture of Ricoh's own P lenses (not other K mount lenses such as the Pentax "A" series). Aperture-priority autoexposure and manual metering are also possible using Pentax and other K mount lenses.

RAZKY

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
My mother gave me her old Ricoh XR-P MF camera with 3 lenses and I picked up a 3rd from eBay. I’m fairly certain that Pentax lenses will fit this camera. My question is how do I determine “premium” glass from Ricoh or Pentax and are all MF Pentax lenses compatible? I know with Canon it is the “L” series and with Nikon they put a gold ring around the end of them. Is there markings like this for Ricoh or Pentax. Thanks in advance.
I have no experience with Ricoh, but do have some experience with Pentax lenses. I believe the "premium" lenses you're referring to have low-dispersion glass elements. Canon calls them "L" lenses, Nikon calls them "ED" (extra low-dispersion,) and the ones I've used most are Leica-R APO lenses. As far as I know, Pentax never made any manual focus lenses with low-dispersion glass, but I've always been impressed with the image quality of their Takumar and later M series prime lenses. I don't think they were ever intended for serious professional use, though.

OP
Warfarin

Warfarin

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Using programmed autoexposure, the body of the XR-P is only able to control the aperture of Ricoh's own P lenses (not other K mount lenses such as the Pentax "A" series). Aperture-priority autoexposure and manual metering are also possible using Pentax and other K mount lenses.
I did know this about the camera, but thanks for being willing to help out
I have no experience with Ricoh, but do have some experience with Pentax lenses. I believe the "premium" lenses you're referring to have low-dispersion glass elements. Canon calls them "L" lenses, Nikon calls them "ED" (extra low-dispersion,) and the ones I've used most are Leica-R APO lenses. As far as I know, Pentax never made any manual focus lenses with low-dispersion glass, but I've always been impressed with the image quality of their Takumar and later M series prime lenses. I don't think they were ever intended for serious professional use, though.
Do you know if the Takumar lenses would be fully functional on the Ricoh? And I’m not even close to a “serious” professional. Rank amateur at best.

RAZKY

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you know if the Takumar lenses would be fully functional on the Ricoh? And I’m not even close to a “serious” professional. Rank amateur at best.
No, you'll be limited to aperture-priority autoexposure and manual metering, no program mode.
As for "professional" use, I was referring to the M lenses not being mechanically robust - they just feel shoddy and cheap. However, for 35mm I shoot mostly Leica-R, Nikon and Zeiss, so I'm not used to lightweight plastics. The lenses may be more durable than I think.

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics