riddle me this...

zio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so i've noticed in the bottom left corner of some of my prints something that looks like a stick. now it probably wouldnt be that big of a problem if i were taking these in a forest or someplace similar, but its on a good majority of my prints where there arent even trees...not all of my prints, but it randomly appears.
what is causing this? i've taken off my lens and looked to see if there are any cracks but i couldnt see any. i've dusted it off for lint, but there always seems to be some. maybe something wrong with the film? i'm rolling my own film.

i would submit a picture or two for people to see what i'm talking about, but its not letting me. i followed the directions to a T and still no dice. i think though a similar thread had been asked after actually checking out some other threads...
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5790
similar problems though...
1. random single negatives, usually if one negative on a roll has it they all do
2. bulk rolled film with old ass canisters

nope, not a straight line...its squiggly. its hard to see on the negatives, much easier to see on a print.

Is it black on the print, but clear on the neg?

Does it extend from beyond the edge of the image, or is it "floating" in the image?

Is it fairly sharp? Not blurry or soft.

It could be a string or thread hanging near the shutter curtain or coming off one of the film cannister felts. If it is between the film and the lens it would block exposure where it covers the neg, this area of the neg would be clear when the film was developed. If it is fairly sharp that means whatever it is is very close to the film (laying on it). If it was casting a shadow from further away (like on the lens) then the line would be more diffuse.

Look around the inside of your camera and the edges of your shutter, but be careful, this is one of the most fragile parts of your camera. The shutter curtain can even me damaged by compressed air. Don't touch it. Put your camera on the bulb setting to open the shutter and look inside. Examine all of your canisters for hanging threads.

ksmattfish,
Thanks! it is black on the print and clear on the negative...which makes it difficult to see on the negative. not sure what you mean by floating or extending pasqt the negative. it comes from the edge and then abruptly stops. it looks like it could be a thread of somesort.
thanks again for the help, i'll try what you said and let you know how it goes.

I think he's asking if it continues in the space between the frames on the negative. This might be hard to see if it's that thin. Do you have a loupe? If it's between the frames, the film is probably being scratched. If it's not, then there's probably something in the camera.

zio said:
it is black on the print and clear on the negative

not sure what you mean by floating or extending pasqt the negative. it comes from the edge and then abruptly stops. it looks like it could be a thread of somesort.

Yeah, that's what I was asking. Somehow a thread is getting dragged onto your film. You just have to find it and trim it or discard the old cannister.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back