Rigged automotive shots

Etoimos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Below are some behind the scenes shots of a rigged automotive shot like I shared in my Mini, 911, and Jeep thread.

Image setup
090408-0720425413-IMG_3604.jpg

Results
090408-0000204031-GP5B4545-EditF-Edit.jpg

Image setup
070418-0000204031-GP5B0252.jpg

Results
070418-0000204031-GP5B0305-001w-2.jpg

Image setup
081101-0720425413-IMG_3151.jpg

Results
081101-0000204031-GP5B3568.jpg

Other shots from that same basic setup
070421-0000204031-GP5B9836-001-Edit.jpg

IMG_8820-001lsat.jpg

These images are taken at really slow shutter speeds, in the seconds depending on how much movement or "speed" you want in the image. This can require the use of low ISO and ND filters at times. When shooting early in the morning or late in the evening or night, you can typically get away with a low ISO setting and a circular polarizer filter. The latter I use on all of my automotive shots. The cars are moving very slowly, sometimes just being pushed by had a few feet. Attaching the camera to the car out on the rig boom allows the camera to stay perfectly stationary relative to the car so that only the surrounding area shows the movement of the camera. The wheels of course show their movement to add to the effect.

The biggest hurtles to over come in this type of photo is camera bounce and boom length/wide angle camera and lens combo. The former can be combated with the design and material you build your rig out of. Small bumps in path of the car can cause the camera to move in a plane perpendicular to the car, creating a blurry image. Back when I was shooting these, I did not have an full frame camera so I had to use my Canon 1D MkII that has a 1.4 crop factor. This meant all of my shots were close ups. That camera with a 16-35mm f2.8 L lens on it also weighed a lot, so it induced a lot of boom bounce if we hit any bumps. I'd love to shoot some more of these types of photos with one of the new full frame mirrorless cameras!

Depending on your type of rig and your composition, there can be a lot of clean up in post processing. With the motion blur in the background, it is not too hard to remove the boom from your image. The toughest part is to remove its reflection in the paint of the car.

I hope you found these images enjoyable and the little how to interesting.

Fair light and fast lenses,

Keith

Wow, I was planning to ask you for a rundown on how you accomplished the mini shot! I really appreciate the info.

Very nice work.

Nice rig... sort of takes all the fun out it when you're not hanging half out of the back of a pick-up truck yelling instructions to the driver.

Awesome results and it's great that you're sharing your setup. Very nice of you to do so.

Very cool! As @tirediron mentioned, I was under the impression that those were taken from the back of a truck bed or maybe even the hood of a car but something tells me you're not a crazy photo/stunt guy.

death proof1.jpg

Nice rig... sort of takes all the fun out it when you're not hanging half out of the back of a pick-up truck yelling instructions to the driver.

Very cool! As @tirediron mentioned, I was under the impression that those were taken from the back of a truck bed or maybe even the hood of a car but something tells me you're not a crazy photo/stunt guy.

I have done shots from the back of a truck, but they don't compare at all too this method.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back