Right or left handed camera?

Synergy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi There!

I was reading through a tutorial and it was describing an SLR’s functions which included the shutter release as being at the top right hand corner of the camera. Reading this made me wonder if left handed people were somehow impeded or helped by this. For example with my OM-1, the only thing my right hand does is press the shutter release.

My left hand however, does the aperture, shutter speed and focus. As I’m right handed, I would of thought I’d operate the camera more efficiently if the sides were reversed?

Of course I could use the camera upside down but then all my pictures would be upside down too :wink:

Synergy

hi you see, if you are right handed and press the shutter there is higher possibility that you photo will be in focus. Your right hand is stronger and lets you hold your cam more effectively if you know what I mean. If you do it wiyh your left hand cam may twitch a bit.

Btw. I haven't ever seen left handed cam :)

I'm left-handed and I have an OM10, I tend to adjust the focus and aperture with my right hand, so my left hand is doing nothing most of the time. I don't think that a left-handed camera is nessecary though, as taking a picture is nothing like using scissors. :lol:

If lefties really have a problem you can get a handle like a flash bracket that has a shutter release button, and links to the camera via a cable release.

My old Zeiss Ikonta 6x9 folder is left-handed; it always throws me off.

pierce said:
I'm left-handed and I have an OM10, I tend to adjust the focus and aperture with my right hand, so my left hand is doing nothing most of the time. I don't think that a left-handed camera is nessecary though, as taking a picture is nothing like using scissors. :lol:

Cause it aint so dangourous to run with a camera? Although not advised...

I think i'd actually rather have my stronger and under the lens. I seem ot put more weight on that hand and steady the camera with it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back