Ring Light for Macro Photography Question

lissthis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I recently got a macro lens and am completely new to this type of photography. I was looking at getting a ring light because I love the appearance - especially with eyes. Are there any that you suggest that will hold up for a beginner for less than $100? I also read that cutting out a milk jug works pretty well as it diffuses the light, any thoughts on that?

Thank you!

I was *hoping* there would be one that would suit both - but I understand if that was far-fetched. I think I would like it for macro primarily, but if you have any suggestions for portrait photography I would appreciate that suggestion as well :)

This sort of light is primarily meant for macro work. It gives you full flash output control and TTL control, but it doesn't really have sufficient output for portraiture. This on the other hand is a portraiture ring light; you can see how much larger the lighting surface is. The size of the lighting surface and the distance from the longitudinal axis is going to make this light unsuitable for macro work since the subject has to be a significant distance from the lens in order to be properly lit.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have been looking at the Neweer Brand of Ring Lights. The NEEWER® Macro Ring LED Light is inexpensive (~$35) and the Newer JY-670 (~$83) is still reasonably priced. Both allow independent left and right "half power" where one side is fully on ..... but I don't think either of these ring lights allows independent control of the brightness of the left and right side of the light.
I really think this independent control is important to doing a good job with your primary and fill lighting
Any one know of a good inexpensive ring light that allows independent control of the brightness on the left and right sides -- so you can totally control your primary and fill lighting?

Most reactions

Back