'Ring of Fire' Solar Eclipse

Aloicious

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I was out in the middle of nowhere to observe the annular solar eclipse on the 20th, and I got some good shots of it. it was an absolutly incredible thing to witness live...

here's how the ring of fire looked at it's fullest stage where I was:
Eclipse2.jpg

I got a whole bunch of pictures of the different phases of the eclipse, I pieced them together in sequence here:
progression1.jpg

Here are a couple of it that showed some diffraction pattern (since I had to stop WAY down), and some lens flare, but they turned out pretty interesting too...
Eclipse1.jpg

02.jpg

if anyone has the opportunity to see one in the future, it's worth it, I had to drive 5.5 hours to get to the centerline, but I'd do it again anytime.

So I was out in the middle of nowhere to observe the annular solar eclipse on the 20th, and I got some good shots of it. it was an absolutly incredible thing to witness live...

here's how the ring of fire looked at it's fullest stage where I was:
Eclipse2.jpg

I got a whole bunch of pictures of the different phases of the eclipse, I pieced them together in sequence here:
progression1.jpg

Here are a couple of it that showed some diffraction pattern (since I had to stop WAY down), and some lens flare, but they turned out pretty interesting too...
Eclipse1.jpg

02.jpg

if anyone has the opportunity to see one in the future, it's worth it, I had to drive 5.5 hours to get to the centerline, but I'd do it again anytime.
I was trying to like this twice, but it wouldn't let me...:eek:

Cool! Wish I'd seen it; I wasn't even within a day's drive of anywhere that would see it.

That last one reminds me of my old Spirograph toy; man, I love drawing designs with that thing!

I was trying to like this twice, but it wouldn't let me...:eek:

Thanks Tarayn, and everyone.

Forgot to mention, these were all taken on my D800, 70-200 f2.8 @ 200mm + 1.7x TC, CPL, @ f40, ISO100 (mostly, some at lo1.0), and most were between 1/4000s and 1/8000s

I love the ring of fire shot! I could have driven a couple hours and been right in the center of the path of the eclipse, but chose to stay close to home for the kids' sake. Even from where we were though, the almost-annular partial eclipse was really neat to see!

Wowzers, those are so cool they don't even look real! Double thumbs up!

I'm lovin the shots... especially the sequence!

I love the ring of fire shot! I could have driven a couple hours and been right in the center of the path of the eclipse, but chose to stay close to home for the kids' sake. Even from where we were though, the almost-annular partial eclipse was really neat to see!

Thanks! yeah it was really cool, I bet your kids had fun. it was just my wife and I there in the Nevada desert.

Wowzers, those are so cool they don't even look real! Double thumbs up!

Thanks! IIRC the next annular eclipse in the US is in 2023, again mainly in the west/southwest, but should be partially viewable over the whole mainland

I'm lovin the shots... especially the sequence!

Thanks!

Very jealous! We only got 85% coverage and no ring here in Socal. Some wonderful images! If it weren't for work obligations, I would have driven to a center spot myself!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back