Rinse and repeat

Discussion in 'Articles of Interest' started by Braineack, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. JustJazzie

JustJazzie Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I think I made it though about 6 sets before I realized what I was wasting my time on! Though Ive never understood street photography enough to have an opinion on if they are good of bad. :giggle:

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Huh...this fellow's pictures do have a certain unstyled nature about them. Poor framing, people way too low in the frame,drecky lighting. Must be weird to sit and take potshots of the same people for days on end. Kind of odd, in a way...I imagine he made some people feel uncomfortable. The woman wearing the same blouse two different days...I bet she's thrilled to have been selected. NOT!

I dunno...this project is most likely not about the photographic skills on display, but more about the way people drag themselves to work every day in a big,modern city environment. The ONE, single happy-appearing person was the lovely young woman...all the others looked like they'd be Bah Humbug! types. Again, I get the feeling that this isn't about photographic skill, but more of just using photography to make a point about society; the quality of the pictures, of the photographic technique, is not really very high by modern standards, but the countenance of the people shown seems (at first glance I guess) to make some type of statement. Right? I dunno....it's an underwhelming web-based story. Maybe the exhibit in-person has more weight to it. I'm always willing to give the benefit of the doubt to "projects" of this type,ones that people undertake with some type of end-goal in mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Okay....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Have logged a whole lotta miles on Toronto's subways and concluded way back that shooting passengers on the trains and around the stations wasn't that rewarding. Maybe I just didn't get in touch with my inner Winogrand often enough.

• Like Like x 2
  6. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    She wasn't the only one, either. There were men wearing the same shirt with the same suit, as well as several just wearing the same shirts, hats, etc.

They are collectively wearing similar expressions, too. The exhibit could be called "Same Sh!t, Different Day" to make that point. ;)

The photos are technically uninspired, as is the apparent theme of the subjects. Could be intentional, but that's likely a stretch.

Overall it's perhaps worthy of a look, but I agree with Derrel that it might be more compelling to see in person. Better lighting and careful arrangements could give them more punch than this Web lineup. I'm betting it causes a bit of discomfort to viewers who can readily see themselves in there, right? So the project is successful in that regard, eliciting an emotional reaction, however muted.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Solid analysis from terri, above. Stay tuned for my series on county transfer station customers hauling in loads of yard debris to the dump...

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I assume the first images in the series will be self-portraits?

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    "Nnnnnnnyezzzzzz, as you command, My Master."

Oh wait...that's a Star Wars line...

10. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    There's some gorgeous light in July at 9am...

11. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That guy is gonna make people want to punch me more than they already want to

12. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

These people aren't "bah humbug types" just because they aren't smiling. These are very typical NYC street faces. The one woman just randomly smiling? That's not the face of a commuter on her way to work. Maybe she was greeting someone that she regularly meets to walk into work with or something. No one just walks down the street with a smile on their face like that for no good reason. If they do, that's actually a sign of something wrong.

Knowing the sheer volume of people that would be walking by that photog in that intersection every day, especially at rush hour, I'm actually kind of impressed at how consistently he can get shots of the same people and isolate them in the frame. I quite frankly don't give a rat's ass that they aren't as technically proficient as staged photos, or as good as armchair quarterbacks think they should be. Taken individually, the images are nothing to write home about, but taken as a series, they are quite an interesting commentary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1