I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The world lost one of the best masters of photographic lighting. Andrew Lesnie died of a heart attack at the age of 59.

He was a cinematographer and was the Director of Photography on some of my favourite films like The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Babe (yes, the one about the talking pig).

Long before I knew who Andrew Lesnie was, I knew that I loved the look of those movies. As I learned more about lighting, I learned to appreciate that a lot of what I liked about those movies, was how they were lit, and that's how I came to know about the great work of Andrew Lesnie.

If you haven't seen it, or if it's been a long time since you've seen it....I highly recommend watching Babe. Pay special attention to the lighting. The best way to describe it would be ethereal.

Plus, Babe has what I consider to be one of the best scenes in cinematic history.

Last edited:
Well, I'll admit it…I've never seen Babe. And I had NO idea of its cinematographic connection to LOTR.

So, I guess now I'll have to watch it.

Also…59. Dang.
Just had a "friend of a friend" die of a heart attack, at 47. That's just TOO young.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back