RIP Boyd Coddington...

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im not sure how many of you here on TPF are in tune w/ the hot rod/custom vehicle scene... but boyd coddington has passed away...

boydinshop_250-op.jpg

Boyd Coddington, the hot-rod innovator whose creations won the coveted Grand National Roadster Show's America's Most Beautiful Roadster (AMBR) trophy a record six times, died Wednesday morning of undisclosed causes. He was 63.

Coddington was raised in rural Idaho but moved to Southern California as soon as he could to pursue his dream of building hot rods. He quickly earned a reputation for subtle, stylistic innovations on what had been an almost overdone theme--the '32 Ford roadster. That branched out to '33s, '34s and then all manner of surprising twists on iconic themes. Names such as Boydster, Smoothster, Alumacoupe and Chezoom redefined what a rod could be.

His wheels were equally well known, particularly those shaved from billet aluminum. He soon earned the nickname "Billet Boyd" for his techniques machining aluminum.

One of his best qualities was his ability to gather talented partners to produce his many fine creations

l_651edfa762da6da504a07a03f5fa574e.jpg

I used to watch his 'reality' TV show. He was quite a grump...but the cars were cool.

RIP

I used to watch his 'reality' TV show. He was quite a grump...but the cars were cool.

RIP

yes he was quite a grump in person as well the few times i was fortunate to meet the guy... but many people got their start in his shop ie. Jesse James of West Coast Choppers/Monster Garage and Chip Foose of Foose wheels/designe and overhaulin

I didn't know those guys started out in his shop...that's pretty cool.

I didn't know those guys started out in his shop...that's pretty cool.

Just about half of Foose's employees used to work for Coddington. Apparently there was no love lost when Foose left Coddington's shop to start his own.

Sad to see him go. He made some pretty amazing cars.

I don't suppose Chip Foose (Boyd's former pal and current arch enemy)will take over the shop.

i like Chip, he is always found right in the builds with everyone else while Boyd was always just taking credit for everyone else's work, thats a great way to be :rolleyes: maybe karma caught up with him...

i like Chip, he is always found right in the builds with everyone else while Boyd was always just taking credit for everyone else's work, thats a great way to be :rolleyes: maybe karma caught up with him...

Karma??? Boyd deserves to be dead because you think he took credit for someone else's work??? :confused: Do you even know first hand about what Boyd's contribution to the builds were?

I have personally experienced Boyd & Jo's generosity and know very well about the true atmosphere of Boyd's shop. I can honestly say that drama on TV has absolutely nothing to do with reality. Coddington's is a great place to work and his people worked for an extremely talented man who mentored many other talented people. It is a shame that he's gone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back