RIP, Hammerin' Hank

A shame no one has replied to this. I will never forget staying up late to see if Hank would hit 715. He instantly became my hero. I once had the opportunity to interview and photograph him and told him about my childhood experience. He simply smiled, nodded his head a little and meekly said "thank you". I remarked after his reaction "I bet you hear that a lot", which made him laugh. He was a mild mannered, down to earth person and not to sound too clichéd, but they just don't make them like that any more. Rest in peace.

Never heard of him as we don't really follow baseball here but it's always sad when a sporting hero or icon passes.

Never heard of him as we don't really follow baseball here but it's always sad when a sporting hero or icon passes.
He was a black player who started in the "negro leagues" and eventually went to the Milwaukee Braves, which is a MLB team. Stayed with them throughout his career and hit 715 career home runs, which beat a long standing record made by Babe Ruth. An amazing feat at the time, before steroids when you actually had to have ability and not just muscle. Two people have since beat this record, but both were steroid users, so I personally don't think they should count. Hank Aaron was the real deal. A model athlete on and off the field and adored by millions of Americans. He is unmatched.

Legend. Great player and man. Arguably, the greatest baseball player that ever lived.

He was a black player who started in the "negro leagues" and eventually went to the Milwaukee Braves, which is a MLB team. Stayed with them throughout his career and hit 715 career home runs, which beat a long standing record made by Babe Ruth. An amazing feat at the time, before steroids when you actually had to have ability and not just muscle. Two people have since beat this record, but both were steroid users, so I personally don't think they should count. Hank Aaron was the real deal. A model athlete on and off the field and adored by millions of Americans. He is unmatched.

Yeah, sounds like a true legend and gained that accolade with honesty, humility and hard work. RIP.

A humble, down to earth man. He never bragged or talked smack, he let his actions on the field say it all. A great role model for all of today’s players. RIP

On our side of the pond, we don't hear much about Baseball....

Stayed with them throughout his career and hit 715 career home runs, which beat a long standing record made by Babe Ruth. An amazing feat at the time, before steroids when you actually had to have ability and not just muscle. Two people have since beat this record, but both were steroid users, so I personally don't think they should count.

Sorry, I know this is a couple months after posting, but it got brought back up today.

Only one person has beaten that record (which was 755) and it was Barry Bonds. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is still ability needed, the average person can't take steroids and boom, his hundreds of homers.

Hank also spent his last two seasons with the Brewers, a completely different team than the Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves where he spent most of his time after only 26 games in the Negro leagues.

Barry Bonds was (arguably) the best player in the game when he was with Pittsburgh, long before any PED allegations.

Most reactions

Back