Ripped the Shutter

CanonSnob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jadamphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I made a post about thinking my battery was dead, but it looks like it was my shutter and my camera just shutting off because of it. I assume send it to canon will be the response?

l_888e07fc8d77651414430bda73f7416a.jpg

Definatly send it in to canon, don't even try fixing yourself or a 3rd party - some are good, but canon is the safest bet - also check to see if you are still in warrenty if its new.

ouch....

seeing that is like watching a guy get kicked in the nuts....

sorry for your troubles man....

gotta back up?

Definatly send it in to canon, don't even try fixing yourself or a 3rd party - some are good, but canon is the safest bet - also check to see if you are still in warrenty if its new.

no, bought mine used off of ebay a little over 4 years ago. It's been a great camera. I had gotten a error 99 a week ago. Just shut it off and it was fine. Then it happened again earlier today. Same thing, just shut it off and it started working again. I did notice the fps were feeling quite laggy half way through the day. Didn't really know why, but now i do :(

Depending on what it costs, I may just buy a new camera.

No back up :/

ouch....

seeing that is like watching a guy get kicked in the nuts....

sorry for your troubles man....

gotta back up?
:lol: My first thought exactly. Yeah you are stuck sending to Canon as, far as, I know. You might call them first and see what the damages will be first. I hate to say it but sometimes repairs cost more than the camera.

Bah CanonSnob. Throw it out and buy a Nikon :p

In all seriousness if you can afford that camera and I assume the L glass to go with it the shutter replacement will not worry your wallet one bit.

I did a quick google and found people quoting $200 USD for shutter replacement in lower line cameras... 20D, 10D etc. One said $1500 for a shutter and sensor replacement.

Curious... how many actuations on that shutter of yours? IIRC mine is just over 50k.

Oh man that sucks. Yeah I wouldn't trust anyone other than canon for this one. Man don't tell me err 99's are a death sentence my camera did it 3 times the other day. I just assumed it was the lens since it was a new one.

Man don't tell me err 99's are a death sentence my camera did it 3 times the other day. I just assumed it was the lens since it was a new one.

IIRC, the Err 99 is a general use error or unknown error, in other words it could be just about anything. That is what pops up when the camera does not recognise to issue going on in side.

But I could be wrong.

Buy a new one man with an extended warranty. Technology keeps moving and moving fast, and they are not that expensive in my opinion. But of course we always have different opinions.

I wouldn't.. the 1d MarkII is remarkable camera even by today's standards. The 1d MarkIII is a significant investment.

It doesn't hurt to submit it for an estimate.

Bah CanonSnob. Throw it out and buy a Nikon :p

In all seriousness if you can afford that camera and I assume the L glass to go with it the shutter replacement will not worry your wallet one bit.

Ha, nikon. Actually I used, one of the racers I knew out here, Nikon D70 for a bit then the battery ran out. It was quite laggy (yea only a D70 so I wasn't expecting the moon out of it) and the fps were low. Not too useful for racing situation.

As for the comment on it being nothing to worry my wallet. Not quite the situation. Just because I have the 1D and the L doesnt mean Im made out of money as much as it means that I am serious about my photography.

Then it won't take too much dedication to save the money up again ;).

I made the natural assumption that you have a bit more disposable income than most on this forum. But in all fairness I spend more than the cost of a shutter replacement on insurance every year for my significantly cheaper equipment.

I was just pointing out that the repair of this isn't out of reach and it is by far not the end of the world so ... send it to canon is the right response.

Most reactions

Back