River shots - color film

Judge Sharpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was playing around with my 645 in the Smokies acouple of weeks ago. I had these printed to a cd and I am concerned with the focus. the Negatives seem OK but these seem a little out on my monitor- What do you think overall?
1702390-R1-E001.jpg

1702390-R1-E002.jpg

1702390-R1-E003.jpg

1702390-R1-E004.jpg

1702390-R1-E005.jpg

1702390-R1-E011.jpg

These were with a 80 mm lense and 400 Kodak print film The colors are OK I think and the exposure seems OK.
CC?
Judge Sharpe

To me they all seem overexposed. The highlights on the water and rocks are all blown out. It looks like tough shooting conditions, because you have the really dark woods and then the extremely bright river. It is pretty much impossible to properly expose both at the same time, so I think the water should be properly exposed but it looks like you have the shutter open too long which may be giving you the bluriness. Just my take.

You are right. Thanks, I bracketed, but not enough. I was trying for the smoth flow of the rapids, but went too far.
JS

Yea, when you are trying for the smooth silky look, you should either try using a Neutral Density filter to block some light, thereby allowing you to expose longer to capture motion, or you can try to use your smallest aperture setting, but often times that alone may not be enough to get that silky look. I've found the ND filters to work well. What was your aperture on most of these?

Edit - after looking at your shots again, #2 looks the best to me compositionally and I think would look great if taken with a ND filter.

Unfortunately, a ND filter is about the only one I don't currently have. I loaned it to a "friend", not knowing I was lending it and it never came home. You are right, and using film with a lower ASA would have been better. I did not record the aperture at the time and my sometimers would not let me recall it. As I said, I was playing between fly fishing and not keeping good records. I have a couple of other rolls but I might be ashamed to put them on here with the great pictures I see everyday.
JS

Where about were these taken? My grandfather lives in Severville (spelling? not so sure). He lives in a valley of a mountain, and there are some cool river hiking spots similar to this. Cool

As above, an ND, stop down, etc.

I hope it's not just me and am in need of another eye exam, but I see focus, DoF or camera shake issues in all. Regardless, seems to be a lot of blur. Did you use a tripod by any chance?

Regardless of everything else, #4 is a cool moment.

I stopped down but not enough for the ASA I was shooting, One of the problems with film is you don't see what you screwed up until you process the film. It is an old but new to me camera and I have not learned all of the tricks. I also see the blur, and wonder if the focal screen is off a touch. I did use a tripod, but due too the distance I had to walk with camera, fishing tackle, lunch and camera bag, I used a light weight one the was too light weight. These were taken at a pull off on the way to clingmans dome. For those who have not been to the Smokies, The National Park has PLENTY of oppertunities to shoot bad pictures. Great locations, rivers, waterfalls, old home steads and animals.
I was playing and did not expect any thing great, but hope springs eternal. Judge

Was this negative film or slide film? The blown highlights may just be part of the scanning, have a look at the negatives. Negative film has the opposite dynamic response to a digital camera. You're very likely to blow the shadows, but it is often possible to bring down the highlights.

No. 4 is a really nice shot, but it's a real shame you blew the whites on it.

It was color print film and I can not tell from the negative if the highlights were blown. I think I wll get it printed and see what comes out.
Judge Sharpe

Most reactions

Back