tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Come on, beat me up with critiques. I'm not afraid!:grumpy-36:

_MG_7110.jpg

Two things come immediatley too mind: (1) The WB seems rather too warm; and (2) What is the subject? There's really nothing on which to focus or hold my eye in the image.

Not sure what you're going for with this. Seems like a mundane street scene, only thing at all different for me is there are palm trees - and no traffic!

It's such a wide shot, the tree trunk to the left seems chopped off and just sticking into the picture not doing much of anything for it. Interesting little puddle over there with a reflection but it's barely in the frame (could have been a subject for a photo maybe). I don't really know what you want the viewers to see here.

What made you click the shutter button?
I like it only because We don't have palm trees like this in Georgia...so immediately I think California, even without looking at your profile.
I would work with a different crop though. There's too much on the left side of the frame that means nothing. To me, My eyes want to go down the road, but they keep getting pulled towards that stupid Santa billboard.
Even after a crop, though, just looks like a plain-ol street

Looks like awesome weather though! So with that, I can relate! 75* tomorrow. Woo!

Yours is far better than the Google street view version Google Maps .

I like your photo because it presents a very typical California scene. No, not the one in postcards or movies, but the scene that anyone who has lived in San Jose or Modesto or Fremont or El Monte or a hundred other ordinary towns will immediately recognize. The kind of trashy, ramshackle, heavily commercialized boulevard that local government has chosen to "glamourize" with a row of palm trees and a landscaped center divider. Everything in the image, including the palm trees, looks horribly depressed and resigned to a mundane existence amidst massage joints and used car lots. Even the big puddle on the right has failed to capture the palm tree's better parts in the reflection. Those happy puffy white clouds are cheerful only because they know they'll soon drift off to some prettier part of town. This is what most of urban California looks like and I think you've managed to photograph it marvelously, whether intentionally or not. The flat, yellowish rendering seems especially appropriate.

I like it and I think that, if you can keep channeling this perspective of Californiana in a similar photographic style, you could illustrate a very compelling essay on contemporary life in such places.

Yours is far better than the Google street view version Google Maps .

I like your photo because it presents a very typical California scene. No, not the one in postcards or movies, but the scene that anyone who has lived in San Jose or Modesto or Fremont or El Monte or a hundred other ordinary towns will immediately recognize. The kind of trashy, ramshackle, heavily commercialized boulevard that local government has chosen to "glamourize" with a row of palm trees and a landscaped center divider. Everything in the image, including the palm trees, looks horribly depressed and resigned to a mundane existence amidst massage joints and used car lots. Even the big puddle on the right has failed to capture the palm tree's better parts in the reflection. Those happy puffy white clouds are cheerful only because they know they'll soon drift off to some prettier part of town. This is what most of urban California looks like and I think you've managed to photograph it marvelously, whether intentionally or not. The flat, yellowish rendering seems especially appropriate.

I like it and I think that, if you can keep channeling this perspective of Californiana in a similar photographic style, you could illustrate a very compelling essay on contemporary life in such places.

Thanks for the feedback. That is very interesting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back