Road Trippin' Arizona..........(dial-up UN-friendly)

malachite

Heavily Medicated For Your Protection
Reaction score
Thought I'd do something new and daring this weekend and actually take pictures during the day :wink:

Not really knowing exactly where I was going, I loaded up the truck and decided south seemed like fun. Headed towards Florence to see if the abondoned buildings were still there; there not :( so I kept on going.

I wound up on an unmarked dirt road just north of Oracle (now 200+ miles away from home) and found a group of hunters ending their day. They told me where the road went so off I went, in search of a ghost town named Reachery. 60 miles of dirt road later I found my ghost town.

Of course I spent most of my time with the Yashica so Voodoo will have to scan those for me :) In the meantime, here's what I got with the 35mm all the way from Southern Nowhere, to Southeastern Nowhere, to pop back out in copper country just south of somewhere. From there I went home because it was now dark.

Don't ask this guy for directions:

Directions.jpg

Yup, we found nowhere:

prickleypear.jpg

Cool stuff on the ground this time of year out there though:

barrelcactus.jpg

The sun never did decide whether it was coming out. Just teased me all day:

mountaincliff.jpg

.....and more with the indecisive light:

sagaurocliff.jpg

And then the last of the light:

cows.jpg

I like the last one and the one with the sky and... well I like them all :) I am going to take a trip out that way in a few months, (going to SanDiago) and will be sure to take LOTS of pics. Got a Olympus C-4000 and a laptop!

Wow....you had a fun day. I love a road trip like that, camera gear at hand. Can't wait to see the Yashica stuff!

I envy you all that emptiness.

#4 is beautiful - I hope you're happy the sun didn't come out; the clouds are more interesting. Am also smitten with the last one - just beautiful.

Nice group of images! :D

Yes, the last one is cool!

terri said:
Am also smitten with the last one - just beautiful.
I just had a print done of that one today and they forgot to hit 'reset' with the quanity. It printed 3 before they hit stop and just gave me a 3 for 1 deal instead of throwing them away. For your use of the word smitten I'll send you the extra one :wink:

core_17 said:
Love the last one. Course, I always love your pics!
Damn, I'll have to send you a print too :wink: You guys are making me think I'm starting get the hang of this landscape thing. Too bad my scanning skills blow the big one :irked:

voodoocat said:
Ok, how do I get to where 4 was taken?
That one isn't as far as the rest. Only a few miles south of Superior on highway 177. I'll be going back to a few places out there over the next few weekends to see if I can't get better light. Easy, second half the day kinda trip, so be ready..........................

Thank you all for the kind comments.......................

Have you decided for your print for the exchange? If not I vote for that last one, I'd have that framed and hanging in under a minute!

I like number 4 the best. The sky is perfect but I think the landscape is a little dark. With that sharp skyline it should be a cinch to isolate the land using the magnetic lasso tool and then curves or levels plus Hue/Saturation to brighten things up slightly.

AlisonS said:
Have you decided for your print for the exchange? If not I vote for that last one, I'd have that framed and hanging in under a minute!
What is it with that picture? Aside from the 2 extra prints I gave away for free, I've now SOLD 2 more copies of it and I wasn't even trying :eek:
It was fun to shoot, having to run up that hill, trying to beat the sun before it set. Shot on the very first roll of Velvia 100 35mm I've ever tried and through a lens I've only owned for a week. Talk about luck............

BTW, prints are still for sale as I won't be taking that slide in for more prints until Monday :wink:

drdan said:
I like number 4 the best. The sky is perfect but I think the landscape is a little dark. With that sharp skyline it should be a cinch to isolate the land using the magnetic lasso tool and then curves or levels plus Hue/Saturation to brighten things up slightly.
This is prolly my best composition on the whole roll but I couldn't get the light right to save my life. I bracketed all over the place but the sun was just too harsh as it was still midday, overcast or not. The above was scanned from the slide where the clouds aren't blown out but the foreground is just too underexposed to get the detail out of the shadow areas. I have another one, a 1/2 stop more, where the foreground is a lot better but the clouds are blown out for the most part. I was thinking maybe scan both then Photoshop the best of each together. But I suck at PS so you're welcome to try if you want :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back