Robert Capa treasure

That's very exciting. And it's wonderful to read that the negatives still seem to be in good shape.

OH WOW! What a treasure find! I sure hope prints will be made and placed on display at the International center of Photography soon... I make trips there when I can.

I posted this in the news and review section. Got no replies. I was getting concerned.

It is great news. I love the article. Particularly the part about the Cappa Persona. I also enjoyed looking at the contact sheet and of course all those amazing photos.

Love & Bass

Interesting, and encouraging that nitrate negatives appear to have survived in good condition - when did acetate and polyester replace it? 1940s/50s?

There was a piece about Gerda Taro in a recent B&W magazine and I was amazed I had never heard of her. First woman photographer killed while covering a war, makes you wonder if she would be a household name like Capa (or Lee Miller, probably the only other female war photographer most people can name) if she had lived. Her work certainly appears to be the equal of his.

^^^ I had similar thoughts...I hadn't heard of her before either and wondered why her name isn't better known, with all those interesting facts/pics in her story.

I think a lot of Capa's fame comes from himself as a personality. Often seen as the "indiana jones" of photography... he even dressed the part. A lot of this "image" was a creation between Andre and his fiance, Gerda. They created Robert Capa and Gerda Taro. So if you think about it.. Robert Capa (the image of him) is in part the legacy of Gerda Taro. Both of their works were highly regarded in every right.

Marketing at its best....

I hope the entire set is digitized where we can see them online... even the bloopers.

Most reactions

Back