Robins.

Yep some what mushy.Not sure whats going on but my iso in auto was jumping all over and the flash arrow flickered a few time's looking through the viewfinder..Not making excuses just thinking something is up.I like the ISO performance much better on the D3100 but like the overall feel of the D90.

Last edited:
I couldn't tell what the exposure info was, no EXIF data on the shot. I could tell on the bird's back where the noise reduction was done though. Those are indicators that you just plain didn't have enough light for the shot though. Not at all uncommon with birds in trees since it's a lot more heavily shaded there than where you are standing. Birds are just plain not easy subjects; they are small and they are quick and they will not cooperate. It gets easier over time, as you learn the tricks, but never easy ;)

There is an adjustment that limits the ISO to whatever high limit you want to use when Auto ISO is enabled. See page 166 of the D90 manual. That should help prevent a lot of noise due to excessive ISO. My D90 doesn't like anything much over 800 unless the light is very good (in which case you don't need high ISO!)

I couldn't tell what the exposure info was, no EXIF data on the shot. I could tell on the bird's back where the noise reduction was done though. Those are indicators that you just plain didn't have enough light for the shot though. Not at all uncommon with birds in trees since it's a lot more heavily shaded there than where you are standing. Birds are just plain not easy subjects; they are small and they are quick and they will not cooperate. It gets easier over time, as you learn the tricks, but never easy ;)

There is an adjustment that limits the ISO to whatever high limit you want to use when Auto ISO is enabled. See page 166 of the D90 manual. That should help prevent a lot of noise due to excessive ISO. My D90 doesn't like anything much over 800 unless the light is very good (in which case you don't need high ISO!)
I had it caped off at 1600.The first shot was stayed at ISO 720 - !/800 300mm @ F8 then the last three shots ISO jumped up then down a few times then decided it needed a 1600 iso with lots of noise.I know the menu system well. I had a D7000 before but I still read the manual anyways to refresh the memory.My D3100 is wonderful so far up to 2500 or better.

Last edited:
1600 is too high for a D90 when shooting birds. All I've ever gotten out of my D90 at that ISO has been excessive noise. Birds are small subjects and low noise is very important since it will ruin the fine detail in a bird, especially if the shot has to be cropped. You can get by with it on landscapes and such subjects since the actual subject is the entire frame, but with birds it needs to be low.

1600 is too high for a D90 when shooting birds. All I've ever gotten out of my D90 at that ISO has been excessive noise. Birds are small subjects and low noise is very important since it will ruin the fine detail in a bird, especially if the shot has to be cropped. You can get by with it on landscapes and such subjects since the actual subject is the entire frame, but with birds it needs to be low.
Your so right, I found that out today of only my second time out with the D90 totally sucks@1600 at least in low light for birds it does. I forget the tammy 70-300 needs a lot of light as well.Thanks for the tips scott.

Great lens though,Can't beat them for the price point.
I agree with you there. I've gotten some great shots with it, just have to give it plenty of light to work with. When I can get enough shutter speed to stop it down to around f/8 it works very well.

Dave, as Scott said keep it under 800. I actually keep my D300 under ISO 400. The only time I go higher is if I know I don't have to crop. If you have decent light you can occasionally get away with higher ISO... I shot this sparrow over the winter, just testing out 1600, but as you can see I had good light. I also slightly overexposed (ETTR). The original crop is on flickr. The D90 actually has slightly better ISO performance than the D300...

Test ISO 1600 +.33 EC by krisinct, on Flickr

Fantastic shots!!! Really nice!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back