Rock the Dress for Breast Cancer 2011

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey y'all!

I just wanted to share a video from an event I was a part of in my local community.

Rock the Dress for Breast Cancer was an event started by someone in Edmonton, Alberta, and my friend Amy heard about it and came to talk to me. We came up with a great concept to help raise money for breast cancer research.

This year we had 19 photographers donating their time on Rock The Dress day, where they each completed photoshoots for 67 women. Some women came in grad dresses, wedding dresses, sun dresses - anything they wanted. The clients were able to book with their favorite participating photographer, and for $100 received a 1 hour shoot with 20 web ready files.

We also had 12 hair and makeup professionals who also donated their time, and clients were able to have professional hair and makeup for a dontation to the cause.

This year we raised nearly $7000, with more money to come in from print sales after the event.

Hope this inspires some of you to do the same! Next year we will be sending out information packages to anyone wanting to get involved in their own community.

K

[video=vimeo;23571339]http://vimeo.com/23571339[/video]

That is a fantastic idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How does it work as far as raising funds. I'd really like to do this. I'd rather not charge the cancer victim.

Great stuff! Send me some info for the next year's event :thumbup:

Bennielou - the clients are not all cancer survivors. I think 2 were, but more are just women wanting a rocking deal on some oprofessional photos.

That is so cool, Rub. I wonder if it would be ok for the cancer survivors to have sponsers, kinda like the Susan G. Komen effort. (Walk for the cure).
I'm older, and I actually know several terrific, heroic, and BEAUTIFUL women dealing with different types of cancer.
I loved the photo you showed in your OP, and it made me think about my friends and how damn beautiful and spunky and strong they are, and how I would like to capture that to hopefully to show new cancer patients that life can still be good, as well as raise money.
Do you think that way of thinking could work?
How would I set it up in my area? How could I become affiliated and bonded for charity purposes with my local cancer hospitals?

I just love your idea, and I'd really love to participate in the Dallas area.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back