roll film vs cut film..

mysteryscribe said:
It's the investment in the image experience for me.

I misunderstood. I thought your were trying to say you felt people took better photos with older, more traditional film gear. I think it's very possible that is true for some photogs, but it can go the other way too for other photogs.

And I don't think you are out of touch. According to Freestyle, BW film and darkroom supply sales are way up. Digital is actually causing people to get interested in, and discover more traditional methods. I've seen plenty of TPF members who came here digital only move into BW film, and older cameras.

To be honest I knew how I felt but it took the others to get the words right. That happens sometimes these days.

My son in law has learned enough about digital that he gets the same pictures I did or even better but he doesnt take the time to enjoy what he is doing. Frankly neither did I. Retro put me back in touch with the craft. That is a very good thing.

I was born at the perfect time to love both film and digital. I remember a world without personal computers, but spent my teen years building and programming them. To me watching blank paper go in one end of the ink jet printer, and come out the other end a photograph is just as magical as watching the image slowly come into existance in the tray of developer.

These kinds of threads always leave me with this image.

One of the last scenes in Quigly Downunder is Quigly standing over a dying villian with a smoking hand gun.

"I thought you said you couldn't use a handgun?" the dieing man asks.

"Nope, said I didn't have much use for 'em."

I think I might have said this before.

I was shooting digital as art when it was max 640x480 Had to enlarge the image to 8x10 then blur the edges by hand.

Then it was so blurry, that I had to print it on watercolor paper. I ruined more than one ink jet printer like that.

I followed along experimenting with it till it got to 4mega pix then I lost interest. So just cause I got no use for it, don't mean I can't do it, or don't understand it's value.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back