Rolleicord -- any good?

Meter with the 50mm.

You should be alright matching the apertures provided they're equivalent focal lengths (which 50mm and 75mm are, roughly, between 35mm and 6x6). If you were shooting LF, that would be a very different story. I used to meter 6x9 with my 35mm all the time and the readings were almost always cross-compatible.

As Stella said, you can use the same settings on the Rolleicord as on the Pentax. In some ways it is better to meter with a longer lens than a shorter - you can read from a smaller area of the subject. If you read from the palm of your hand or from a grey or white card it doesn't matter what lens is on the metering camera, as long as the metering area is occupied by the reference surface. Of course you would need to adjust the reading if you used one of those references, but you would do exactly the same for 35 mm and for medium format, or any format. Format really doesn't matter, and I'm not sure what Max is referring to. There is a little catch when using large leaf shutter lenses at fast shutter speeds and small apertures. Is that it?

Put simply: whatever exposure would be good for the Pentax will be good for the 'cord.

Your Rolleicord should have parallax correction, I think. It only works for the plane of focus, of course.

Good luck,
Helen

I wasn't referring to the exposure explicitly. I was referring to the fact that a given aperture on the same lens will yield a shallower DOF on a larger format camera. As such, while the exposure will be the same at a given aperture, the depth of field won't necessarily. As such, you might need to stop down further on the LF camera in order to achieve the same DOF or sharpness. Most people with a head on their shoulders would also stop down the smaller format camera that they were metering with. Granted, you can just calculate the difference in stops, but you wouldn't be able to meter smaller than f.22 on most 35mm bodies. I'm just ranting, as usual.

Alright, thanks guys. Planning on making the purchase sometime this week or next.

Cords were simpler versions of the Flexes. Should perform well, assuming the taking lens is a Tessar and that you shoot at f8 and above. Under that they tend to be a little soft.

Good luck and post a pic of the camera when you have a chance. Also, let us know if you need a manual for that baby.

Here's the picture the guy posted on cl:

01010901020701160420071102a7f1bc41afe7a3660a002fc1.jpg

I have a rolleiflex and I love it. It is my camera of choice. The problem is if you dont have access to the darkroom. 120 film is getting harder and harder to get developed. I prefer to print at 11 x 11 with the 120 but Ive pushed my prints upto 24 x 24 and the quality is just amazing. For $125 buy it either way those things are getting rare and you wont lose money
in the long run.

bad image of my site but
house.jpg

I have access to a darkroom for B+W. I have resources (for a very long time) for 120 color development. I'm not worried about that.

I never got an email back from the guy so looks like I'll be on CL and Ebay looking for one for quite a while again

Most reactions

New Topics

Back