Rolleiflex vs Hasselblad questions

Mike_E

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, just a bit of background: I used to have a YashicaMAT 124 that I let go of to get something else and have been missing lately. I have also been wanting something that gives that Zeiss planar look (Zeiss Planar, I know).

So the question; what, if anything, is the difference on print between a Rollie and a Hassy? Or between a 2.8 and a 3.5 Rollei planar. Or for that matter between the planar and a Xenotar?

And since I'm asking is the Hassy much easier to focus for a guy that's a little gray around the muzzle and needs Bifocals, and if so how much? I don't really need the other lenses available to the Hasselblad as I'm good with the 80mm focal length so that's not a concern.

I'm thinking about selling my two RB67 Pro-S kits to help fund this and really don't want to go through seller's remorse over them either (I do like the 50mm on one of these)- although since getting a D800 I haven't used them much.

thanks in advance.

The difference is that the Rolleiflex is whisper-quiet when it shoots, and has zero mirror slap, whereas the Hassy has a big,loud mirror. One camera allows you to snap a shot with basically, nobody past 5 feet knowing about it, whereas the other announces to everybody within a 30-foot radius that you just tripped off a shot. Obviously, the Hassy offers more lens options, and filtering is easier...there are tons of filters for the Hassy system, not as many so easily available for the Rollei. TLR has some parallax at closer ranges. But,again, super-quiet, and very easy to shoot hand-held slow speeds at with the neckstrap tight around the neck and you pressing downward on the camera and pushing it in, toward the belly. The last Rollei I shot was about a 1970/1974 2.8 model, borrowed. I cannot recall the lens...

Focusing for the bifocal-needin' dude...gonna say tyou'll probably need to use the flip-down mirror to focus the Rollei carefully, critically.

RB-67s are so....heavy....Rollei's are big, but not super-heavy. I have no idea on the Planar vs Zenotar comparison.

The difference is that the Rolleiflex is whisper-quiet when it shoots, and has zero mirror slap, whereas the Hassy has a big,loud mirror. One camera allows you to snap a shot with basically, nobody past 5 feet knowing about it, whereas the other announces to everybody within a 30-foot radius that you just tripped off a shot. Obviously, the Hassy offers more lens options, and filtering is easier...there are tons of filters for the Hassy system, not as many so easily available for the Rollei. TLR has some parallax at closer ranges. But,again, super-quiet, and very easy to shoot hand-held slow speeds at with the neckstrap tight around the neck and you pressing downward on the camera and pushing it in, toward the belly. The last Rollei I shot was about a 1970/1974 2.8 model, borrowed. I cannot recall the lens...

Focusing for the bifocal-needin' dude...gonna say tyou'll probably need to use the flip-down mirror to focus the Rollei carefully, critically.

RB-67s are so....heavy....Rollei's are big, but not super-heavy. I have no idea on the Planar vs Zenotar comparison.

And loud.
I went from RB67 to Rollei SL66 which I loved because it was much quieter but the Hassy is much lighter and, in retrospect, I should have gone that way

When you say Rollei you're thinking about the old twin lens I take it given the lenses you mentioned.

I've owned and used lots of them as well as Hassys. If you don't want the lens/back interchangeability of the Hassy then you don't want the Hassy. The Rollei is a beautiful machine. I still have one that I never use any more but I can't let it go; have to tell my son that one get's buried with me.

As for the lenses -- the only difference between the Hassy version and the Rollei version is the coating. Zeiss T* coating shows up just before the black barrel hassy lenses and comes after the TLR Rollei. I'd say no big deal.

Planar versus Xenotar is again no big deal. They're basically slight variants of the same design and you can throw the Heligon in with them to make up a ruling Triumvirate. (I'm also holding on to my 95mm f/2.8 Heligon).

I will say that although the 75mm versions of the Rollei did and still do sell for less than the 80mm versions there was no reduction at all in optical performance. If I was asked to name the best lens I've ever use in the last 40 years I couldn't really do it but the 75mm f/3.5 Planar on a Rollei would be one of my top candidates.

D*mn! thinking about it is making me want to go buy a roll of film.

Joe

When you say Rollei you're thinking about the old twin lens I take it given the lenses you mentioned.

I've owned and used lots of them as well as Hassys. If you don't want the lens/back interchangeability of the Hassy then you don't want the Hassy. The Rollei is a beautiful machine. I still have one that I never use any more but I can't let it go; have to tell my son that one get's buried with me.

As for the lenses -- the only difference between the Hassy version and the Rollei version is the coating. Zeiss T* coating shows up just before the black barrel hassy lenses and comes after the TLR Rollei. I'd say no big deal.

Planar versus Xenotar is again no big deal. They're basically slight variants of the same design and you can throw the Heligon in with them to make up a ruling Triumvirate. (I'm also holding on to my 95mm f/2.8 Heligon).

I will say that although the 75mm versions of the Rollei did and still do sell for less than the 80mm versions there was no reduction at all in optical performance. If I was asked to name the best lens I've ever use in the last 40 years I couldn't really do it but the 75mm f/3.5 Planar on a Rollei would be one of my top candidates.

Joe

I think that you may have just answered my question, PM me your adress and I'll send you a roll! B&W or color? :)

Joe

I think that you may have just answered my question, PM me your adress and I'll send you a roll! B&W or color? :)

That's very generous, thank you. I'm tempted but the last thing I need right now is more negatives. I'm going to die before I finish scanning the ones I have. Speaking of that I'm pretty sure this is the 75mm f/3.5 Planar on a Rolleiflex model E -- one of my favorite cameras for many years. I don't have a great scanner right now but I think this still gives you an idea. That lens didn't miss a thread in his shirt or a hair on his chin. One of these days I'm going to spot these --- right.

Joe

$75_planar.jpg

Mike,
I have a 'Mat 124 for sale, as well as an A and a couple of D's....Just saying...

Thanks Erie but I've wanted a Rollei for a long time and I'm at that age where I know that if the itch isn't scratched properly it is just going to keep itching.

As it turns out this itch may kill me if the wife finds out what I just spent scratching it because I bought a great looking Rollie C with the 2.8 Xenotar and ten rolls of TMY.

Now for the weight

Last edited by a moderator:
What about a Mamiya C330 ? i also have the 135mm lenses for it which is a tessar lens
80mm wide open at F2.8

img250-XL.jpg

100% crop

img250crop-XL.jpg

Looks good!

I did go ahead with the Rollei though.

As a matter of fact I just got it in (OK, I got it in late Friday but I was gone all weekend) but haven't had a chance to do much with it.

Funny thing is that although it's a C with the 2.8 Xenotar it has the five bladed shutter. There is a sticker inside that says "For sale to and use by authorized U.S. Forces Exchange Patrons only."

It's gorgeous cosmetically but I may need to get it CLA'd if the slower speeds don't loosen up (knew about this going in).

Any suggestions as to someone who's good and kind (and gets them home in a timely fashion) to a rollei?

You could try putting it somewhere warm and then keep firing the shutter at different speeds i know it works for Leica's

Thanks, I have been but this thing looks as though it would be lucky to have had a dozen rolls through it in the 60 years or so that it's been alive. But it's cloudy and 57 degrees here now so maybe a little sunshine will help.

I know it'll help me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back