Rolleiflex White Face Questions....

enezdez

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have an opportunity to buy brand new never used White Face Rolleiflex with the original box and all the accoutrements. I can choose either the F/2.8 and/or the F/3.5 version (the seller has both).

I am going with the F/3.5 for several reasons according to my research it is sharper throughout even when fully open at F/3.5 and the F/2.8 below F/5.6 is not as sharp. Additionally, it is reported to be better balanced because it is lighter than the F/2.8 (less glass). After that it's just a matter of crazy price and crazier price - I am not certifiable yet... lol

Am I making a mistake going for the F/3.5???

Thank you in advance for prompt replies.

Enezdez

I have an opportunity to buy brand new never used White Face Rolleiflex with the original box and all the accoutrements. I can choose either the F/2.8 and/or the F/3.5 version (the seller has both).

I am going with the F/3.5 for several reasons according to my research it is sharper throughout even when fully open at F/3.5 and the F/2.8 below F/5.6 is not as sharp. Additionally, it is reported to be better balanced because it is lighter than the F/2.8 (less glass). After that it's just a matter of crazy price and crazier price - I am not certifiable yet... lol

Am I making a mistake going for the F/3.5???

Thank you in advance for prompt replies.

Enezdez
You're certifiable no doubt.

Are you talking the f/3.5 Planar or the f/3.5 Xenotar? Both were better than their f/2.8 80mm counterparts but not by much.

I would rank the 75mm f/3.5 Planar on my Rolleiflex very close to the top of the list of best lenses I've ever used.

You're certifiable no doubt.

Are you talking the f/3.5 Planar or the f/3.5 Xenotar? Both were better than their f/2.8 80mm counterparts but not by much.

I would rank the 75mm f/3.5 Planar on my Rolleiflex very close to the top of the list of best lenses I've ever used.

@Ysarex 75mm F/3.5 Planar...

@Ysarex 75mm F/3.5 Planar...
It's a fabulous lens but it has to be a collector's camera. You can't make a purchase like that for photographic usability and think you're buying competitive picture-taking ability -- not for what that $$$$ will buy you in a modern camera.

A pal of mine who is a real camera collector would say buy them both. Then put the f2.8 white face aside in its original packaging, sealed, unopened and never used. Play with the the f3.5 Planar and enjoy its brilliant ergonomics and optical quality.
In a decade or two the F2.8 will have appreciated so much in market value that you could sell both and make a profit on the deal even after paying for a CLA and refurbishment on the F3.5 Planar.

It's a fabulous lens but it has to be a collector's camera. You can't make a purchase like that for photographic usability and think you're buying competitive picture-taking ability -- not for what that $$$$ will buy you in a modern camera.

@Ysarex I get what you mean but I couldn't touch a German camera like a Leica with lens for this price point either...that's why I own Nikon Rangefinders....and based on your earlier statement I can't go wrong as a shooter other than collector value once I use it. (I can live with that...)

Thank you very much @Ysarex for your input, I now feel I made the right choice getting the F/3.5...

A pal of mine who is a real camera collector would say buy them both. Then put the f2.8 white face aside in its original packaging, sealed, unopened and never used. Play with the the f3.5 Planar and enjoy its brilliant ergonomics and optical quality.
In a decade or two the F2.8 will have appreciated so much in market value that you could sell both and make a profit on the deal even after paying for a CLA and refurbishment on the F3.5 Planar.

@maris That sounds like a sweet plan... lol Unfortunately, the reality of life and simple economics won't allow me to that...but one can dream...thanks man!

@Ysarex I get what you mean but I couldn't touch a German camera like a Leica with lens for this price point either...that's why I own Nikon Rangefinders....and based on your earlier statement I can't go wrong as a shooter other than collector value once I use it. (I can live with that...)
I almost got the collector's disease once -- fortunately I could never really afford it and higher priorities won out. So Nikon's good but when you say rangefinders you mean film. I'm not going back there either -- you have to enjoy the process then.

I used a lot of Rolleis over the years and owned models with each of the 4 lens options at some point. The 75mm f/3.5 Planar was the best of them and better than the 80mm Planars on my Hassys as well. Now I had a 95mm f/2.8 Heligon that I mounted on an old Century Graflex and shot 6x7 and that beat them all. But I'm not tempted by the good old days -- keeping my Nikon Z7 and Fuij X cameras -- you have fun.

Most reactions

Back