Pugs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pugsnet.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

This weekend, I may be attending a roller derby and will be attending a horse show (dressage, specifically, whatever that means).

The roller derby will be an informal spectator thing, but I thought it would be fun to try my hand at shooting action in low-light conditions (the arena is VERY dark for whatever reason).

For the horse show, I was asked by a friend, who is even more of a novice than I am, if I would go with her and give her pointers on how to use her new D300 (same camera as I have, but she only has one lens... I think it's an 18-200mm VR?). I'm flattered that she'd ask, but I'm concerned 'cause I'm not much past novice myself.

With that background, any tips, techniques, or settings that you folks could recommend would be INVALUABLE!!

Like I said the roller derby will be low-light action. The horse show is outdoors (I believe) and will be around 2:00PM.

Thanks!! And yes, since this thread is in the gallery, I will post pictures after the weekend.

Use a good assorment of lens with a wide appature. 1.8-2.8 would work fine. Shoot shoot, shoot. It never hurts to capture a great selection of views and don't forget to move around, catch that touching moment between animal and trainer. A wisper in the ear, a glance from the horse to its stable mate. :D Look for pools of light that can make a good image great

Well,

I did say that I'd post the pics from the Roller Derby and the Horse Show, but eesh... be harsh; it's the only way I'll learn...

1:
DSC_1912 Small.jpg

2:
DSC_1934 Small.jpg

3:
DSC_1944 Small.jpg

4:
DSC_1949 Small.jpg

5:
DSC_1973 Small.jpg

This last one is my favorite.

So,

I was all nervous about the Official Photographer maybe thinking that I was poaching on her business, but... clearly she has NOTHING to worry about...

1:
DSC_2073 Small.jpg

2:
DSC_2084 Small.jpg

3:
DSC_2091 Small.jpg

4:
DSC_2092 Small.jpg

So... yeah...

"Be harsh"...I don't have to some of those ladies are real bruisers as I could read from the obstructed background banner. “Brew City Bruisers” You should have moved around more and captured an image of the two bigger ladies with the banner in the background…………………………………readable in the background.

#2 and #5 are your best shots.

The rider and horse....just don't grab me. #1 has another rider growing out of the butt of the rider (bad background)
#2,3,4 you lost the moment...people just don't like to view the back of a rider and horse.

Did you capture any prep work between the riders and horse...any tender brushing of the horse’s coat, soft whispers from rider to horse or direct eye contact from the trusty mount to the rider?

I can tell from your comments you're not content with your effort......its natural.....you have to practice, practice, and practice

Drop me a PM if you would like some tips on how to shoot a roller derby and some advice on your next equestrian photo shoot.

"Be harsh"...I don't have to some of those ladies are real bruisers as I could read from the obstructed background banner. “BrewCity Bruisers” You should have moved around more and captured an image of the two bigger ladies with the banner in the background…………………………………readable in the background.

#2 and #5 are your best shots.

2 and 5 are my favorites from this batch also. There were a couple of other possible keepers, but would need work to try to correct the under-exposure.

The rider and horse....just don't grab me. #1 has another rider growing out of the butt of the rider (bad background)

#2,3,4 you lost the moment...people just don't like to view the back of a rider and horse.

The reason I didn't even notice the other rider in the background of 1, and managed to capture Keegan's back instead of profile in 2, 3, 4 is that I was focusing so hard on trying to capture that perfect moment with horse's legs. Apparently in dressage, you want that /\/\ shape with the horse's legs.

Did you capture any prep work between the riders and horse...any tender brushing of the horse’s coat, soft whispers from rider to horse or direct eye contact from the trusty mount to the rider?

Honestly, I was so worked up about the technical aspects of shooting a dressage show that I managed to pretty much not shoot anything other Keegan in the arena.

We actually did have time in between her rides to wander around and get those types of pics, but it didn't really even occur to me. I'm kicking myself a bit for it now, though!

I can tell from your comments you're not content with your effort......its natural.....you have to practice, practice, and practice
Drop me a PM if you would like some tips on how to shoot a roller derby and some advice on your next equestrian photo shoot.

Nope, not content in the least. I like to feel at least basically competent at things and here (especially the horse show), I didn't come close.

I'll shoot you a PM later. Thank you for the feedback!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back