Rollin'

Shipman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nice shots. Are you shooting from another car driving at the same speed or is this done with a rig attached to the car? What speeds are you having the car driving at?

Thank you

This is done with 2 cars. I will be getting a rig soon but until then, this will have to do.

These are shot at 65 MPH, the car that is being shot is on cruise control at 65 and then the chase car is adjusting speeds in order to capture different angles. In order to obtain correct focus, both cars must be going at the same speed at the time of the shot.

These are awesome.

Thank you much, they were fun to do.

Guess I'm not surprised to see you on here. (TheScoobyWagon from NASIOC)

Clean captures, and I like the 3rd shot the best. Road, front of the car, and front wheels are mint!

Does it take some practice or could one expect to get a vaguely similar results from the start.

very nice!
i cant imagine trying to shoot from a moving vehicle

Guess I'm not surprised to see you on here. (TheScoobyWagon from NASIOC)

Clean captures, and I like the 3rd shot the best. Road, front of the car, and front wheels are mint!
Hey man. This is a good place to be to help yourself improve, especially if you shoot more than just cars. NASIOC only will really help with auto photography. Thanks brother.
Does it take some practice or could one expect to get a vaguely similar results from the start.
I think a little practice is definitely required but you could get something close with just starting then see what you would need to change on the next time out.
very nice!
i cant imagine trying to shoot from a moving vehicle
The most difficult part is shooting the rear of the car because you're facing the wind and is impossible to see through the camera to adjust your focus. Pure guessing game, the shots where the wind is to your back aren't that bad as long as both drivers know what they're doing. Steadiness is key.

Nice ... I think the last one wins it for me ... the car really seems to pop, and the image seems good and sharp

less distracting things in the frame ... don't care much for the yellow sunbursty thing ... definitely don't like the high-sign the driver's making in one of them. I don't care much for the window half-down. Might even try a few with all the windows up.

In the last one ... and this is just me ... I might see what it looks like without the blue brake-thing ... not enough detail to reveal what it is quickly, and I get stuck trying to figure out what it is ... and there's a curved cloud above the car that seems to be ... radiating? I might try a clone to break that pattern up. And crop just a tiny bit to lose the bridge in the BG.

The last one is the best of the bunch compositionally. I've done some rolling shots and they are a blast. I'd maybe suggest hanging out a bit lower if you can to get a different perspective. Also, the sunbursty-orange effect is just way overplayed, IMO. Have you tried shooting at slower speeds? I've found it can help reduce some of the vibrations while still giving a great shot with the right shutter speed.

Here's one a did a few months back. Really fun stuff. Good on you for getting out there!
52 Weeks: Rolling Thunder (30 of 52) by
Austin Greene, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back