Romany Eyes

cheers thorhammer

bace said:
Really loving this one. Was this the same "unwilling model" you used earlier?

Yes, my lil' sis. this time scarf instead of hand was the compromise

This is amazing! I sure she won't be too unwilling if you can create pictures like this of her!! Can you share your settings for the dodge tool though? - when I've tried to use it in the past it looks too un-natural, even with the lower exposure settings. Cheers! :)

puzzle said:
This is amazing! I sure she won't be too unwilling if you can create pictures like this of her!! Can you share your settings for the dodge tool though? - when I've tried to use it in the past it looks too un-natural, even with the lower exposure settings. Cheers! :)

i cant remember, off hand, exactly what the settings were, but i usually set it to midtones and lower the exposure to about 10-15% when using it on eyes, and keep going over it several times 'til it looks right. It's best to keep the exposure low otherwise it can look too harsh

Thanks - last time I tried it it was using it at about 5% I think but didn't like how it turned out. I'll play some more with it - maybe I could try it on a separate layer with a lower opacity.

Very cool picture anyway :)

I used to use the dodge and burn tools a lot and had to be very careful, usually using them at 3%. Now I've started to use masked curve layers and find it much more natural.

This is a really great shot! My only critical comment would be that the shadows under her eyes detract a little and send my eye to the blown-out area of her scarf. I love her irises!

markc said:
I used to use the dodge and burn tools a lot and had to be very careful, usually using them at 3%. Now I've started to use masked curve layers and find it much more natural.

yes, masks are the way to go, otherwise you are destroying pixels, and that looks ugly. the whole image is under a mask curve layer, as well as a gradient map adjustment layer, with very low opacity, All except the eyes, which i deleted using the eraser. This probibly makes the iris pop out more than just the dodge tool alone

Thanks for the tips, Mark and John - unfortunately I just have PS Elements which has no curves so I'm a little more limited to my options.

Most reactions

Back