Round ii- nikon d700 vs. x-e2

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by funnyfarm, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Anything you've heard about the white balance of the Fuji cameras has nothing to do with their raw RAF files. There is no white balance in a raw file. People who are raving about Fuji's WB or Fuji's colors or the Fuji "look" are all referring to the output from the camera's EXR image processor. They're talking about the camera's JPEG output and most of them are just this side of blind.

If you shoot raw you should know that no WB data is recorded in the raw sensor capture. Setting the WB is one of the necessary steps in the raw conversion process and it's no different for Fuji RAF files than for any other camera's raw files. You may be operating under some misconceptions. You haven't been reading the Internet, have you?

Joe

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bribrius

bribrius Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I went to a walmart the other day to pick up something I ordered site to store. while I was waiting for them to find the package out back I started looking around the customer service area. They had a table of cameras that was discounted because they were last years items, overstock, whatever. Lot of junk on the table but a couple gems in the heap.They had a pretty nice sony on that table for 250 bucks I could of sworn I seen the same camera on amazon for six hundred. It was still pretty updated too twenty mp maybe and 1080 video. Brand new in box. Not what I was looking for but someone who isn't particular might be better off looking for pricing deals as much as camera wants. 600 to 250 or a similar deal might help make up ones mind for them.

3. funnyfarm

funnyfarm TPF Noob!

Ah. Makes sense. So even if I used an expodisc To set custom white balance in camera, it wouldn't apply anyway? I've always used a digital gray card in Lightroom , and have not use custom. I read hat the viewfinder on d700 (hitch I found to be fantastic) is .72x an the vf on the x-e2 is like 1.24x!! I dont know exactly what that means but it sounds like a big bright viewfinder for my tired eyes. That's also important to me. I think this means we can go ahead and rule out a 5dc. I know that camera will just frustrate me like it did in 2012. I think his means nikon or fuji

gah!!! That's one step closer. Again. Lol. Well back to square one at least.

I dodnso so love the d70" and I've mkssed it BUT. Maybe the fuji could be my new baby. I guess if I hate fuji I can sell, take a small loss and buy nikon.

4. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit
    Correct. Setting a custom WB on the camera has no effect on the raw file. It only applies to the camera generated JPEG. If you shoot raw and you really want accurate WB then you'll shoot a reference target for the light.

$checker.jpg

Joe

5. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have used Nikon for over 50 years and loved my d700, however, lugging it around and using a mirrorless OMD 5 and then an OMD E1 lead me to sell off all my nikon equipment.

I rarely print anything larger than 8x10 and the results are amazing, and I haven't looked back, (and my back is very happy)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. funnyfarm

funnyfarm TPF Noob!

Thank you both of you. Is that like checker any more a crate than a digital gray card?

ann, thanks for your input. I don't think if ever print very big either unless I get a great family portrait or shot of my 6 kids I might blow that up big. The x-e2 has 16 mp vs. 12 w the d700.

I wonder kf anyone on this site can compare the viewfinders on these 2 for me. I'm not really understanding how the big vf on the d700 (loved that vf) can be .72x and the vf on the teeny tiny e2 can be 1.24x Wjat does that even mean!?

7. funnyfarm

funnyfarm TPF Noob!

OK last update- I've decided to go X-e1/2. If I absolutely hate it (which i doubt I will, it looks really fun!) then I'll do this all over again next year.

so... is the x-e2 a big enough improvement over the e1 to justify spending 400.00 more? auto focus is supposed to be better but no d700 or anything. which SHOULD be okay for my needs. I like that the viewfinder is a lot bigger, that will make using it easier.

but if I got the e1, i could get more accessories, and another lens possibly.

8. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit
    The color checker is not more accurate for setting a custom WB. If that's all you want to do then all you need is a piece of white Styrofoam -- the lid from a container at the grocery store salad bar is ideal. The color checker will permit you to create a custom ICC input profile for your camera if you have the necessary software.

Joe

9. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit
    I believe the AF difference between the two cameras is consequential but I've never actually used an X-e1.

Joe

10. funnyfarm

funnyfarm TPF Noob!

Ok I thought I was settled on fuji.

Got to thinking though, that they've really only covered zooms and wider primes and their lens sselection is so slim.

I prefer nikon bodies but canon lenses. I love the look of the 70-200L and 85L 100 or 135L. Nikon just doesn't have that magic. (But fuji is still in this game.) I know I'm buying into a system. But I really dislike the 5dc. I'm sore at least the vf and LCD are better on the 5dii. Maybe I can score one kf those for a great deal.
    If I did go classic 5D is get the camera, grip,85, 35/40 and macro filters for the same price as the other systems. More bang for my buck?

11. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    This thread is very entertaining with the OP being so fickle.

12. funnyfarm

funnyfarm TPF Noob!

. Happy to give you a chuckle. It's maddening to me! There are just so many choices. I have a hard time buying mascara, and this is a much larger investment. My husband says "just pick Something an stick with it." Not that simple. Imagine being married to me! Ha!

Ron, do you have advice?
    1)camera you strongly dislike (yet the 5dc is a great classic) so you can stick to canon lenses and upgrade in a year.
    2) camera you LOVED before but it *is* a tank but you can't have your dream L lenses. But you do get great images from this and more in focus than w the 5d.
    3) try Something completely new to you that many have said these cameras have "made photogtlraphy fun again". And many dslr owners are selling off all their gear.

It it seems as though most kf the photographers that really appreciate it though, are street and landscape photogs. I want this camera for portraits and lifestyle of the kids. Either way I go, I'm buying used so I can sell used and won't lose too much provided I dknt wait too long.