Round ii- nikon d700 vs. x-e2

Ah. Makes sense. So even if I used an expodisc To set custom white balance in camera, it wouldn't apply anyway?

Correct. Setting a custom WB on the camera has no effect on the raw file. It only applies to the camera generated JPEG. If you shoot raw and you really want accurate WB then you'll shoot a reference target for the light.

$checker.jpg

Joe

I have used Nikon for over 50 years and loved my d700, however, lugging it around and using a mirrorless OMD 5 and then an OMD E1 lead me to sell off all my nikon equipment.

I rarely print anything larger than 8x10 and the results are amazing, and I haven't looked back, (and my back is very happy)

Thank you both of you. Is that like checker any more a crate than a digital gray card?

ann, thanks for your input. I don't think if ever print very big either unless I get a great family portrait or shot of my 6 kids I might blow that up big. The x-e2 has 16 mp vs. 12 w the d700.

I wonder kf anyone on this site can compare the viewfinders on these 2 for me. I'm not really understanding how the big vf on the d700 (loved that vf) can be .72x and the vf on the teeny tiny e2 can be 1.24x Wjat does that even mean!?

OK last update- I've decided to go X-e1/2. If I absolutely hate it (which i doubt I will, it looks really fun!) then I'll do this all over again next year.

so... is the x-e2 a big enough improvement over the e1 to justify spending 400.00 more? auto focus is supposed to be better but no d700 or anything. which SHOULD be okay for my needs. I like that the viewfinder is a lot bigger, that will make using it easier.

but if I got the e1, i could get more accessories, and another lens possibly.

Thank you both of you. Is that like checker any more a crate than a digital gray card?

The color checker is not more accurate for setting a custom WB. If that's all you want to do then all you need is a piece of white Styrofoam -- the lid from a container at the grocery store salad bar is ideal. The color checker will permit you to create a custom ICC input profile for your camera if you have the necessary software.

Joe

OK last update- I've decided to go X-e1/2. If I absolutely hate it (which i doubt I will, it looks really fun!) then I'll do this all over again next year.

so... is the x-e2 a big enough improvement over the e1 to justify spending 400.00 more? auto focus is supposed to be better but no d700 or anything. which SHOULD be okay for my needs. I like that the viewfinder is a lot bigger, that will make using it easier.

but if I got the e1, i could get more accessories, and another lens possibly.

I believe the AF difference between the two cameras is consequential but I've never actually used an X-e1.

Joe

Ok I thought I was settled on fuji.

Got to thinking though, that they've really only covered zooms and wider primes and their lens sselection is so slim.

I prefer nikon bodies but canon lenses. I love the look of the 70-200L and 85L 100 or 135L. Nikon just doesn't have that magic. (But fuji is still in this game.) I know I'm buying into a system. But I really dislike the 5dc. I'm sore at least the vf and LCD are better on the 5dii. Maybe I can score one kf those for a great deal.
If I did go classic 5D is get the camera, grip,85, 35/40 and macro filters for the same price as the other systems. More bang for my buck?

This thread is very entertaining with the OP being so fickle.
. Happy to give you a chuckle. It's maddening to me! There are just so many choices. I have a hard time buying mascara, and this is a much larger investment. My husband says "just pick Something an stick with it." Not that simple. Imagine being married to me! Ha!

Ron, do you have advice?
1)camera you strongly dislike (yet the 5dc is a great classic) so you can stick to canon lenses and upgrade in a year.
2) camera you LOVED before but it *is* a tank but you can't have your dream L lenses. But you do get great images from this and more in focus than w the 5d.
3) try Something completely new to you that many have said these cameras have "made photogtlraphy fun again". And many dslr owners are selling off all their gear.

It it seems as though most kf the photographers that really appreciate it though, are street and landscape photogs. I want this camera for portraits and lifestyle of the kids. Either way I go, I'm buying used so I can sell used and won't lose too much provided I dknt wait too long.

The AF speed problems that the earlier Fuji's suffered from have been corrected in the x-e2. Fuji in fact now claims the x-e2 has faster AF than any of the competing DSLRs. That's an advertising lie of course but the x-e2's AF is now comparable to the best camera's available. AF is virtually instantaneous.
Have you used it for anything particularly demanding? I.e. sports/action w/ AF-c and tracking?
IME the phase detection is a HUGE improvement over contrast detection in speed, but nowhere near as capable as a mid-upper tier DSLR w/ an AF-S/USM lens.

I'm not a sports photographer and so I'm not really the person to make that determination.
Hmm, well I have the new X20 which is supposed to have their fast AF... (no idea on specs or comparison to the XE-2). Once it has focus, I don't think chasing kids around the yard would be much problem... I certainly wouldn't put it as notably worse than a 9pt entry level DSLR.

Ah. Makes sense. So even if I used an expodisc To set custom white balance in camera, it wouldn't apply anyway?

Correct. Setting a custom WB on the camera has no effect on the raw file. It only applies to the camera generated JPEG. If you shoot raw and you really want accurate WB then you'll shoot a reference target for the light.
Yes, but most programs will "apply" the WB setting to the raw file on import. Many OEM programs will even apply all of the Jpeg settings to the raw file... Not that it's "critical," but it can be extra work to "undo."

I've done them all.. uni, custom, grey, etc etc...now I do none. Here's the reality...there is no such thing as a "correct WB." (and I can almost always find a pure white/black in an image, or close enough).

Now, if I was doing a long shoot with a bunch of images taken in the same light..hell yeah I'd use a grey card... set WB for one image and copy it to all the rest. But I don't typically do that kind of work.

The only good use for a color checker is to compare a print to your (hopefully calibrated) display...

. Happy to give you a chuckle. It's maddening to me!
You really have to define your needs/requirements better... If you go with a DSLR, you have more options later if things should change. If you go with a CSC you are permanently closing some doors...at least right now, but not that many.

You probably need to do the "three lists" thing... Must have, wants, might be nice. And for yourself, prioritize w/in the lists... If you can't knowledgeably create the three lists, well, then there's another issue...

. Happy to give you a chuckle. It's maddening to me! There are just so many choices. I have a hard time buying mascara, and this is a much larger investment. My husband says "just pick Something an stick with it." Not that simple. Imagine being married to me! Ha!

No way, not with six kids. :mrgreen:

Ron, do you have advice?
1)camera you strongly dislike (yet the 5dc is a great classic) so you can stick to canon lenses and upgrade in a year.
2) camera you LOVED before but it *is* a tank but you can't have your dream L lenses. But you do get great images from this and more in focus than w the 5d.
3) try Something completely new to you that many have said these cameras have "made photogtlraphy fun again". And many dslr owners are selling off all their gear.

I invested in m4/3 with the very first camera, the Lumix G-1 & we now have four m4/3 cameras. No regrets with moving to the smaller format. There is now a very large selection of native mount lenses for M4/3 including three very nice f2.8 primes from Sigma (19, 30 & 60mm) @ bargain prices.

You could sell off your existing lenses to finance your new system before the market is flooded by folks moving to mirror-less & selling theirs.

It it seems as though most kf the photographers that really appreciate it though, are street and landscape photogs. I want this camera for portraits and lifestyle of the kids. Either way I go, I'm buying used so I can sell used and won't lose too much provided I dknt wait too long.

I do not see a mirror-less camera, well not a higher end one @ least, being a limiter in this regard.

I want this camera for portraits and lifestyle of the kids.
Does "lifestyle" include lowlight/natural light? If so, the smaller formats will be more limiting. If it includes sports/action, then the smaller formats will be more limiting.

But if it's more a general purpose type use, then almost anything can work well. I have a Fuji X20 and a Nikon V2... I'm plenty happy using them for a lot of things, and I would include general portraits and lifestyle in that list. They just hit their limits a lot earlier than my DSLR's.

Thanks for the advice. I giggled at the 6 kids comment.

All natural light, and the computer will be calibrated. ;)

I'm in contact w a pro photographer who will sell me her d700 for $700 plus shipping, but it has 147k clicks. Is it worth the " risk" for that price? That's crazy low $!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back