Round the world series- first stop Fiji

outlier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I'm on an 8 month trip around the world and thought I would post some shots from my highlight spots. We left Calgary Canada and travelled first to Fiji. What a beautiful spot. In two of these photos the island in the background is where they shot the movie Castaway with Tom Hanks. These are from Matamanoa Island. A beautiful spot off the coast of Fiji.
NewZealand_19.jpg

NewZealand_26.jpg

IMG_2295copy.jpg

NewZealand_12.jpg

NewZealand_37-1.jpg

NewZealand_22.jpg

NewZealand_35.jpg

NewZealand_15.jpg

Gorgeous....

I used to live on Fiji... if you are still there, I suggest not only photographing what tourists see, but photographing actual lives... I used to live on a base (not army) a little bit out of Suva. Life in Fiji is not all sandy beaches, try going to the markets and farms around the island. You can get some nice portraits and candid shots depicting things that happen there.

Oh and also, try to get caught in a downpour and then take pictures. It rains there like nowhere else! =)

I'm now a few stops ahead of this posting so I can't take more pics in Fiji. Also, I don't often take those type of market pics or people in the community. I just don't feel comfortable most of the time doing this and my camera is not very unobtrusive. Thanks for the ideas though.

Gorgeous....

I used to live on Fiji... if you are still there, I suggest not only photographing what tourists see, but photographing actual lives... I used to live on a base (not army) a little bit out of Suva. Life in Fiji is not all sandy beaches, try going to the markets and farms around the island. You can get some nice portraits and candid shots depicting things that happen there.

Oh and also, try to get caught in a downpour and then take pictures. It rains there like nowhere else! =)

Wow lovely shots.....I'm going to Fiji in May next year, and one of my stops is indeed the island from the movie Castaway. I have an intersting shot I want to take.

Its a wonderful place, it would take years to appreciate all of it. I could just see so many awesome shots to take there, you have just given me some more motivation for my holidays. great shots!

Did you max out the saturation on that first shot?

Two of your photos will soon run out... :shock: ... and then all the water will be gone :shock:

The blue-blue-BLUE sky in the first photo ... is it the effect of your using your polariser?

(Sorry, I am not among those to reply and say that they have either a) been to or are b) going to be on Fiji. For me it is sooooooooooooooooooo far away, it is like the end of the world... Wow!)

Fiji is very beautiful. The Mamanuca island group and the Yasawa island group are phenomenal. Nadi was disappointing. We were hassled a lot by street vendors and people trying to rip us off. The islands are very very expensive but also beautiful. I got many good shots but only posted a small batch here.

I shoot in Raw and usually I have to add saturation to the photo or it looks dull. So I defnitely added some saturation. That being said, the sky was very blue that day. And, I've seen the sky that blue naturally all the time in Banff while hiking (near where I live). After living in Central Canada and seeing grey skies due to pollution, it is amazing to be in places where the sky is truly blue. BTW the night skies in Fiji were priceless too. With so little ambient light the sky is like a gorgeous curtain of stars. Simply breathtaking. We are in Australia now after a few weeks in New Zealand. All I can say is that everywhere we have travelled so far we have been impressed. More photos to come.

Wow lovely shots.....I'm going to Fiji in May next year, and one of my stops is indeed the island from the movie Castaway. I have an intersting shot I want to take.

Its a wonderful place, it would take years to appreciate all of it. I could just see so many awesome shots to take there, you have just given me some more motivation for my holidays. great shots!

Did you max out the saturation on that first shot?

LOL. Yes, I often have tilted photos- I like to think of it as adding a sense of tension to the photo rather than an error... hehe.

I used to use polarizers all the time when I shot with a film camera but now I let photoshop help with that. Not quite the same but it still looks good. It also helps to have naturally beautiful colors to capture, which Fiji has in abundance.

Fiji is far from Canada too. But lying on the beach with a cocktail is a wonderful way to get over jet lag. :)

Two of your photos will soon run out... :shock: ... and then all the water will be gone :shock:

The blue-blue-BLUE sky in the first photo ... is it the effect of your using your polariser?

(Sorry, I am not among those to reply and say that they have either a) been to or are b) going to be on Fiji. For me it is sooooooooooooooooooo far away, it is like the end of the world... Wow!)

I think you are right. My camera is consistently low about .5 when I shoot in raw (which is most of the time). I may have forgotten to increase the exposure on that shot. I'm not sure if it would look better though. I have grown to like it in its underexposed state.

the first one seems underexposed

Sometimes the colours of a slightly underexposed photo are so wonderfully intense ... I am very much a "deep colours" person and like a mild underexposure.

Most reactions

Back